Why aren't people making plugins backwards-compatible?

• Global Moderator

Shouldn't we make new versions of plugins backwards compatible with at least 0.5.x?

Why are people making separate versions for different NodeBB versions?

• GNU/Linux

NodeBB is still **0.**x, so it's not released yet. This is why I don't keep backward-compatibility.

Because if you use software that isn't released yet you are a guy who doesn't care as much about stability as those who use released software only. Therefor you are one of those who stay on bleeding-edge of software. So there is no reason to keep backward-compatibility for those guys.

And as long NodeBB upgrades don't break the old database-content you can update your NodeBB system without problems. If this wouldn't be the case I'd reconsider my thoughts about backwards-compatibility.

Another point is that 0.6.0 breaks some plugins because of renaming of hooks, which would (didn't test it) cause plugins keeping backward-compatibility by containing the old hooks throwing deprecation-warnings on NodeBB-start ;)

EDIT: but according to the "Plugin/Theme Dev" Group on this board I'm not a plugin-dev, so you can just ignore this ^^ So you now have to consider me as plugin-dev :P Thanks @julian

• Admin

@frissdiegurke said:

EDIT: but according to the "Plugin/Theme Dev" Group on this board I'm not a plugin-dev, so you can just ignore this ^^

oh god :sweat: rectified!

• Global Moderator

@frissdiegurke yeah, but in simple things like a hook-refactor like in the case of the init hook, why are they still not just being backwards compatible? It seems easier.

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.