• @psychobunny said:

Got an email sent to us earlier, looks promising: http://www.emojione.com/

From that webpage, I've worked out two things.

• They can draw snails.
    • They missed a trick with making it a star wars gaff. Emojione Kenobi... Geddit? No? I'll get my coat. 😆

EDIT: Okay, found it on github, yeah, released under CC BY SA 4.0 and GPL 2.0+. So can be used for any purpose etc etc. I had an idea for a plugin already lined up. But will have a look through the actual emojis and see if they're any good.

• Admin

Woops. I just realized that

A. I got a "developers" only link
    B. They told me that it's an invite only thing and I can't exactly share it with the masses

So.... take my word for it, emoji seems cool and GPL of course so plays nice with us. If anybody's interested, send me a chat for the dev link.

EDIT: @a_5mith man you crack me up sometimes. 😄

EDIT2: if you're competing please put your name forward in that thread so we can shame you into competing later when you change your mind 😄 😛

• @psychobunny said:

EDIT2: if you're competing please put your name forward in that thread so we can shame you into competing later when you change your mind 😄 😛

I've got a plugin I've not released yet already waiting to be published as a backup for if/when that happens. 😆

Not sure what could be hidden on a dev only link, I found the entire project on github within about 30 seconds. 😆, it takes the Unicode input and replaces it with the .png equivalent of that Unicode character. Unless there's more to it than that. 😛

• Plugin & Theme Dev

To standardize emojis on the web through the use of common :shortnames:.

reminds me on this:

xkcd standards

• I would be happy to see the stupid glossy iOS emojis replaced with Emoji One's, to be honest.

I also feel that the iOS ones don't express things correctly, for example the :D emoji looks like what I expect a xD emoji to look like: 😄

• @luke

Aren't 😄 and 😆 the same emoji. Yes, they are. 😃 doesn't seem to be in the list though. (From an emoji keyboard, so probably won't display properly.

• GNU/Linux Admin

Seems the latest update from @frissdiegurke actually fixed that right up: 😄 vs XD

• Admin

hmm. :XD vs XD

:XD vs XD autocompletion 😛

• Plugin & Theme Dev

@julian said:

Seems the latest update from @frissdiegurke actually fixed that right up: 😄 vs XD

Ya, I read this board, but sometimes I forget to answer on certain posts 😛
    Thanks @a_5mith for reminding me of this case 😉

@psychobunny said:

hmm. :XD vs XD

:XD vs XD autocompletion 😛

Would need other opinions on this.
    Currently I replace all pure occurrences of xd (case-insensitive). Please upvote psychobunnys post if you think the same way and it sould get :xd (but maybe it would get confusing not to have x d within the dropdown then so it closes after :xd...).
    Btw: similar cases: zzz, o_o, ???, <3.
    Where (if any) should I add : before? Or should I simply allow : before but replace both occurrences with emoji?

Maybe I'll also add custom mappings within ACP (would need regex-syntax knowledge by the admin). But I don't have enough spare time the next weeks to accomplish this 😛

And maybe I'll implement image-mapping some time so I could use this to allow use of emojione (even so I don't like their talking "we're the first, we're the best,..." and their emoji don't have any names :()

So much code so less... wait... I have to go. See ya 😄

• GNU/Linux Admin

Hah yeah... emojione is interesting, especially because they purport to allow seamless transition between stringified emoji (e.g. :smile:) vs unicode emoji (e.g. 😃) vs imagified emoji (e.g. 😄 )

They also have their own images, which I don't like as much as our emoji, but that's a different argument altogether, heh.

Do they have a facility to use different image assets? If so, then we could leverage* their library to load different image sets, emoji/emojione/phpbb...

* pardon the business-speak

• @julian Yeah, the images appear in a folder on their github, and I think they're referenced similar to how the nodebb emoji plugin works, but just has more cases to look out for.

Suggested Topics

| |