Custom Home Page?

• I am trying to figure out how to set the custom home page, I found the setting under General/Home Page and I set it to Custom:
    a0d15326-1e37-4a2d-9d62-17b484db9b36-image.png

However when I view the site, I get this:
    d199e6ca-0d5e-483c-8627-e53e28fe296e-image.png

So it appears I have set the home page correctly, but I need to now create this actual page?
    That is where I am stuck, I don't see anything called home or custom in the widgets or theme area.

I have been doing searches, and see there is plugins that I think will do this, but I am not clear if I am required to use them, if the custom option is already existing in homepage section of this version of nodebb that I am using?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

• GNU/Linux

Just rebuild and restart your forum.

• I did rebuild & restart, no change, there is nothing showing in widgets for homepage, where should I be going to edit the custom homepage?

• Global Moderator

For a custom homepage you need to install nodebb-plugin-custom-pages and create a page there first. Then you can use it for a custom homepage with widgets etc.

• @PitaJ said in Custom Home Page?:

nodebb-plugin-custom-pages

Ok, I installed that plugin as well, I am still confused on why I need to install a separate plugin, if the custom option is already existing in nodebb?

In my Homepage settings I have it set to Custom:
    1c6f33eb-3951-472e-b672-11c9c0d4aa35-image.png

The Plugin is installed & activated (I also did the rebuild & restart):
    7d3475a4-3a67-4c3c-98d2-3d8bf74e1185-image.png

When I click on Custom Pages in the Plugin Menu, it says to add content to Extend -> Widgets:
    3b61d35c-75d3-47e0-8ed7-d6bfa46a7660-image.png

However Under Widgets, nothing has changed since before I installed the plugin, there is no custom homepage section:
    dc324c72-f5ed-48e1-a8d0-9982b6db334b-image.png

Honestly the whole process is very confusing and would be very helpful if the whole process was documented step by step.

• Global Moderator

The custom option in General -> Home Page is only to set the route which youre.site/ will reflect. It can be set to anything, whether it be a page created by a plugin, or a core page in NodeBB.

In order to use Custom Pages with widgets, you need to create a custom page first. The instructions in the custom pages screenshot look pretty clear on that.

• Sorry which instructions are pretty clear?

The custom pages screen shot says:
    dcd08b20-b2a6-4797-a382-2bc6fbee61d2-image.png

The 2nd and 3rd steps work fine and are clear

The 1st step:
    b4ba9dd9-daea-49cf-b96f-565d685b8a09-image.png

Says to add content to your route, but when you click on that there is nothing new there, its the same as the default:
    d12027f8-01f5-408e-aa3a-c96be0dde18a-image.png

Where and how am I supposed to create this custom page?

Maybe I am going about this all wrong? Maybe I don't even need the plugin?

All I want is to be able to have my own custom homepage that I can put whatever text I want on it, I don't need or care about widgets, I just want to have the custom homepage say for example: "Welcome to our Community, click on Login"

• Global Moderator

It says at the top

Define and customize your new routes here

Emphasis mine. You have to define the custom pages. I don't have access right now, but I bet if you were to take a screenshot of the whole page, there are some more buttons down below.

• On the widget page it says:
    Define and customise your new routes here.

You can add content to your new routes from Extend → Widgets.

You can add your new route to the site navigation from General → Navigation and select "Custom Route".

If you wish to set a custom page as your homepage, go to General → Homepage and select "Custom".

However in the 1st line there is nothing clickable: "Define and customise your new routes here"

On the widget page, I don't see any other buttons below:

4f1a108f-f16c-47df-8e07-8d7a18c414c0-image.png

• Global Moderator

Take a screenshot of your whole screen when on the custom pages plugin page in the ACP, please.

• Here you go:

c48e2e44-53c1-499d-a144-3cc0d8680a79-image.png

• Global Moderator

@dcook there's a green button with a "+" in the bottom right. Have you tried that?

• I have a 34" monitor, I would never think to look in the bottom right hand corner of my monitor when everything else is at the top.

I will try that and see it I get further.

In my opinion, you guys need to work on making things easier and more clear, for example if that green circle is what I am suppose to click, why not make the "here" clickable in the 1st line?

The whole plugin-process is confusing, Wordpress for example is very easy, its 1 click install and it makes a menu item for the plugin, all the settings for the plugin are right there under that menu item. With NodeBB, I have to goto 4 different places just to set a custom homepage.

Its also not consistent, why are some the links text, some of are in a menu at the top, and now some are a green circle at the bottom right hand of the screen?

• The hidden green button in the bottom corner of the screen was the missing link, I was able to create the custom home page.

Suggested Topics

| |