I'm currently writing a new little framework for plugin-settings in CoffeeScript.
Now my question to the devs:
When the time comes and I'm gonna create a pull-request what preparings do I have to do:
- add minified js-files and coffee-files beside
- add js-files automatically created by coffee-compiler without minification and add coffee-files beside
- add js-files automatically created by coffee-compiler without minification
- add js-files after overwork to get them like I'd have done and add coffee-files beside
- add js-files after overwork to get them like I'd have done
Of cause the points 4, 5 would require some additional work by my side o_O and it's definitely not the thought behind CoffeeScript
I could also add a gruntfile to automatically compile(+minify) all coffee-files found by just running
grunt(would require devs to
npm install [-g] gruntin order to edit those files of cause).
The con of the first point would be that errors cannot be found as easy any more... So maybe 2. would be a better option for that...
When creating a plugin I would both deliver source and a compiled version, so 2. would be what I would do (again, for a plugin, not core).
I don't use coffee script, but I blogged about it on jsnews, so I kinda know of it and have played with it.
@frissdiegurke While I'm all for coffeescript in plugins (and even dabbled in it at times with my really bad and untested PRs to emoji-extended!), I'm going to have to step in and say that we can't allow any coffeescript into the core code.
The main stopping points are that:
- An extra dependency is added (even if only for development), and a precompile step is required.
- We are afraid that a coffeescript heavy project will discourage developers from contributing back
You guys should take a look at TypeScript
Don't let @baris hear you -- he's a fan of Typescript
Did I hear
@HolyPhoenix there are actually a lot of arguments to do so. One would be because JS isn't statically typed, requiring all the
parseInt's there currently are.
(I kinda stole this argument from @Almost)
It's a difficult decision (whether or not to jump to coffee), and right now, I'm not even sure it's the right one. It's a bit hypocritical of me to say "Coffeescript is too new", since NodeBB is built on Node.js, which didn't even exist a decade ago...
My two cents here,
The other thing is that it doesn't make sense for 5% of the core to be of one language and the other 95% to be something else. Unless you were to rewrite the whole codebase (then I guess you can fire us too, give us royalties plx :p) but that seems like an undertaking and a half yeah?
Anyways you're taking a lot of flak but I'm really glad to have you onboard, hope our statements don't discourage you from working with our community. There's quite a few people downloading your coffeescript stuff on npm and so that means there's a demand for it. So keep it up!
There's quite a few people downloading your coffeescript stuff on npm and so that means there's a demand for it. So keep it up!
I agree, as long as the functionality is there and it's not broken, it can be written in
teawith2sugarsfor all the difference it makes.
@psychobunny you'll not be able to discourage me through such little issues I'll rework the settings-PR the next days therefor it's a mix of 3. and 5. in my original post
it can be written in teawith2sugars for all the difference it makes
I prefer my tea black to be honest
@psychobunny you'll not be able to discourage me through such little issues