Real-time Streaming - not sure if my nodebb installation is working

• Hi,

I'm not sure if my nodebb is working normally. How fast is real-time streaming supposed to be? Can I make it faster? like updates every 1-2 seconds?

I saw this on the nodebb home page

Real-time Streaming - Interact with your userbase faster than ever before with instant notifications, streaming posts, and real-time chats.

• Global Moderator

@noobbb it should update immediately. However, I believe the connection is shut down after a certain amount of inactivity.

• @PitaJ Ahh I see. Is there anything I can do to keep the connection alive or make it reconnect faster?

• Admin

Here is a really dirty hack. You can put it in your custom JS section in the ACP

var refreshTimeoutId = 0;
    $(window).on('action:ajaxify.end', function () {
            if (!app.user.uid) {
                 return;
            }
    	if (refreshTimeoutId) {
    		clearTimeout(refreshTimeoutId);
    	}
    	refreshTimeoutId = setTimeout(ajaxify.refresh, 300000);
    });

This will cause the page to refresh after 5 mins of inactivity hence marking the user online again, after that they should keep receiving realtime notifications.

• @baris Thank you for this.

• @noobbb I added the code to acp > appearance > custom html/css > custom header

then I restarted nodebb

I used a guest account to reply. The other account, which I am logged in with, always immediately gets a notification sound and message box at the bottom right so that's working perfectly. However, the message/post itself usually does not appear until I refresh the page. It does appear sometimes - usually if I have waited a while to reply first - seems like a cool down period is required? If I rapid fire a bunch of replies, they won't live stream.

Can I make it always live stream? Thanks.

• Admin

We don't have a cooldown for the instant replies, they should show up if you are at the bottom of the topic.

• @baris Hmm. What options do I have to make real time streaming work? Do I need to reinstall nodebb?

• Global Moderator

@noobbb open a bug on Github and we'll see if we can reproduce the issue. If it's not streaming posts, it's a bug.

• @PitaJ Will do. Thanks.

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.