General Discussion

A place to talk about whatever you want

3.8k Topics 23.2k Posts
  • Some quick questions on plugin development

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ
    var meta = module.parent.require('./meta');. Then, meta.config may have the configuration (might need to double-check that). var nconf = module.parent.require('nconf'); will allow you to hook into the configuration utility we use: nconf.get('url') returns the full url. Unfortunately not -- our hooks are designed to keep the information passed in to a minimum. The posts.parse hook is called whenever a piece of content needs to be "parsed like a post". It is not strictly a hook that is called whenever a topic is loaded. Perhaps you can look into filter:post.getPosts?
  • 4 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    T

@julian Thanks for the response 🙂

• Webhosting.

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    L

@Valery-Kharshats said:

Digital Ocean is good

and, how about http://webreus.nl/ ??

Ps: that site is dutch, i hope that you can translate it at the moment 😛

edit: oh, its a cloud hosting :<

• Pagination 404 issue.

0 Votes
    25 Posts
    7k Views
    A

@baris Strange, it says Guest down on the right hand side, but not for where the avatar is. Guess they don't have one do they...

• Is my NodeBB installation correct?

0 Votes
    13 Posts
    4k Views
    julianJ

Please let us know if our plugin documentation can be improved 🙂

• Will it scale?

4 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    sehS

@Mauricio (slightly off-topic) but this system might be relevant to YoReparo. it's called Curiosume and it is a learn/teach matching system that utilizes Wikipedia to classify skills. es possible se puede reparar cualquier cosa en realidad con Curiosume. more information about it here:

http://www.ingenesist.com/general-info/curiosume-integrating-social-innovation.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wCK2jEMKsg

i think there is a lot of optimization still possible to make NodeBB run faster. there is still redundancy in the client/server protocol but this is easily improved.

i am interested in how to scale node web services in a completely distributed network, aka P2P or mesh network. to do this, servers must communicate and synchronize data (but not necessarily all data).

• Just screwed my NodeBB installation

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    M

Just saw I should started here: Upgrading NodeBB

Leave it for future newbies.

• Users reporting unable to Submit posts.

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    A

@psychobunny mysteriously can now also post on my site, feel free to edit out the expletive or delete topic. 😅

• Email

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    N

Right on. I am trying to get that set up in conjunction with my digitalocean droplet but google is having a hard time verifying it right now.

• oh shiz! Webix

2 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    A

Software have done this for years. I have first hand experience of Magento, they do a community edition, which is more up to date, with more plugins, and better support via forums.

Or you can pay £10,000 a year to talk to someone in America (it's not a local call, so add the cost of calling America) for older (but apparently more stable) software, with fewer features.

• How to disable dailydigest?

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

Users can opt-out of the daily digest by changing the option in their user profile settings.

We changed the behaviour to be opt-in instead of out-out, as people did not wish to receive emails every day 🙂 If your NodeBB does not do this, then consider upgrading.

• Learning Node.js

2 Votes
    13 Posts
    4k Views
    D

I'm trying to create some html with a variable that can be adjusted.

<p>Bank Account:$</p> <p id="bankaccount">1000</p>

Not sure how I would do this. I want the value of 1000 to appear beside of Bank Account:$. However since both are in separate p tags, I can't figure it out. I would also like to save the value to a javascript variable.

EDIT* I figured to just create the entire string in Javascript. Easier to piece together.

• [Solved] So, admins can't edit user data?

1 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    A

Nevermind, found it, you have to go to Profile first, then a wild edit button appears. 😕

• Few bugs.

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    A

Having a pretty poor evening with my migration. Nothing to do with NodeBB really, I migrated my domain name over and forgot that that would remove my email accounts. D'oh.

Guest posting enabled on a board gives you two Reply buttons.
    Clicking on the checkbox to the left of a guest post to delete it took about 8 refreshes.
    Then the big one in the other topic I made, unless I'm missing it.
    Mentions from guests appear as global:guest mentioned you in %2 after the category has been purged. Not so much a bug though. As I don't believe mentions check they're still relevant.

Will report back if I see any more.

Ok, I'm getting an intermittent restart happening as well. It's more or less random, no errors in the logs apart from one about spam-be-gone maybe not being compatible. Have made an issue about that on the githubs.

• Community and Shop

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    4k Views
    N

@igbuend Thank you for the suggestion. I did look into Reaction but it is still in development and doesn't seem to have the flow or the ability to organize large number of products in a good way.

• Nginx Issue

1 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    A

@julian I think the issue could be further back than this, as www.35hz.co.uk gets server not found, not the nginx landing page...

😢

I've created a record in Digital OCean for it, but it's made no difference, so not sure where to go from here. I can't think of anything else at this point.

35hz.co.uk exists and works, I've got that bit, but how on earth can www.35hz.co.uk not exist. 😆

Ahh, no wait, I might have it. Just a moment. 😆 I've set up a CNAME record for www in 35hz.co.uk.

That according to google, should work.

EDIT: Do you ever get that feeling, when you've worked so long on something, and it finally works, you're not sure if you're imaginging it. I'm having one of those moments.

The /forum/ redirect didn't work, but, quite frankly. I'm not even remotely bothered about it. 😆

• Install Nodebb with Apache

1 Votes
    29 Posts
    11k Views
    T

@a_5mith now stop in:

info: Populating database with default configs, if not already set...
  • Number of items shown in recent page

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    G

@baris Ok thank you!

• So NodeBB is the top post on HN right now.

4 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    S

@trevor You may have had some on your forum too, i mentioned it in the post to show the people that there was other themes as they all seemed to complain about was the theme here.

• SMF 2.0x to NodeBB

1 Votes
    10 Posts
    5k Views
    B

@a_5mith good work mate, turns out the bug was originated in the ubb importer but never actually surfaced till I updated the importer plugin few weeks ago..

Anyways:

fix for admin's post not getting imported in this PR. https://github.com/a5mith/nodebb-plugin-import-smf/pull/1 also use the latest nodebb-plugin-import v0.1.4 to get more fancy bbcode support (details also mentioned in the PR thread) - the latest importer plugin also allows the topics and posts to be created even if there isn't a uid, however NodeBB 0.4.2 is throwing an error when creating topics with no uid, so you might need to wait till I update the importer's support to NodeBB 0.5.0 once it's released (discussion here) I will push more PRs tonight for the other exporters I know of (phpBB, vbexporter, ubb) to patch and reference them back here

hope this helps