Error Starting NodeBB

• Hello, recently the server where nodebb is installed is giving bad gateway error very often i have to restart Nodebb forum two to three times a day to make it work again. what could be the problem?

and just this morning same thing happened but i couldnt restart is i am getting this error.

1/6 00:52 [1489] - error: Error: ENOENT, rename '/var/www/nodebb/forums/node_modules/nodebb-plugin-emoji-one/public/static/.images/svg'
    Error: ENOENT, rename '/var/www/nodebb/forums/node_modules/nodebb-plugin-emoji-one/public/static/.images/svg'

• GNU/Linux

I'm on it. Breaking changes in emojione (not the NodeBB plugin) without proper versioning...

• @frissdiegurke is there anyway to start the forum now as it has been down since last night i guess?

• GNU/Linux

You can now update to nodebb-plugin-emoji-one@1.1.4.

npm rm nodebb-plugin-emoji-one
    npm install nodebb-plugin-emoji-one@1.1.4

• @frissdiegurke I did updated the plugin and upgraded the nodebb but i am still getting the same error:

This is the full error:

1/6 04:20 [2388] - info: Time: Wed Jun 01 2016 04:20:16 GMT-0700 (MST)
    1/6 04:20 [2388] - info: Initializing NodeBB v1.0.3
    1/6 04:20 [2388] - info: [plugins/emoji-one] Initial startup detected. Downloading emojione assets...
    1/6 04:20 [2388] - warn: [plugins] Skipping /var/www/nodebb/forums/node_modules/nodebb-plugin-header-extend/public/templates/admin/plugins/script.js by plugin nodebb-plugin-header-extend
    1/6 04:20 [2388] - warn: [plugins] Skipping /var/www/nodebb/forums/node_modules/nodebb-plugin-header-extend/public/templates/admin/plugins/style.css by plugin nodebb-plugin-header-extend
    1/6 04:20 [2388] - error: Error: ENOENT, rename '/var/www/nodebb/forums/node_modules/nodebb-plugin-emoji-one/public/static/.images/svg'
    Error: ENOENT, rename '/var/www/nodebb/forums/node_modules/nodebb-plugin-emoji-one/public/static/.images/svg'
    1/6 04:20 [2388] - info: [app] Shutdown (SIGTERM/SIGINT) Initialised.
    1/6 04:20 [2388] - info: [app] Database connection closed.

net.js:1233
    throw new Error('Not running');
    ^
    Error: Not running
    at Server.close (net.js:1233:11)
    at shutdown (/var/www/nodebb/forums/app.js:308:36)
    at process.<anonymous> (/var/www/nodebb/forums/app.js:173:3)
    at process.EventEmitter.emit (events.js:95:17)
    at process._fatalException (node.js:272:26)
    [cluster] Child Process (2388) has exited (code: 7, signal: null)
    [cluster] Spinning up another process...

• GNU/Linux

You need to explicitly state @1.1.4 otherwise it won't update to that version due to the static 1.1.3 within NodeBB's package.json

And a NodeBB upgrade afterwards could revert this. If you need that, change the 1.1.3 within NodeBB's package.json to a 1.1.4.

• Still doesnยด t work:

Clustering enabled: Spinning up 1 process(es).

1/6 16:41 [6079] - info: Time: Wed Jun 01 2016 16:41:25 GMT+0000 (UTC)
    1/6 16:41 [6079] - info: Initializing NodeBB v1.0.3
    [outdated] nodebb-plugin-emoji-one installed v1.1.4, package.json requires 1.1.0
    1/6 16:41 [6079] - warn: One or more of NodeBB's dependent packages are out-of-date. Please run the following command to update them:
    1/6 16:41 [6079] - warn:     ./nodebb upgrade
    [cluster] Child Process (6079) has exited (code: 0, signal: null)

• Plugin & Theme Dev

@mechanix change the version of emojione plugin in NodeBB's package.json to 1.1.4 to get rid of that error

• The error is fixed for me but still nodebb is not starting. see below:

Any advice?

0_1464804662224_Capture.PNG

• GNU/Linux

@Alex-Papagiannis said in Error Starting NodeBB:

The error is fixed for me but still nodebb is not starting. see below:

Any advice?

0_1464804662224_Capture.PNG

You are still using nodebb-plugin-emoji-one@1.1.3 instead of 1.1.4; See above posts for solution.

• @frissdiegurke I have the correct version. So not sure where the problem occurs. Any tips?

See below:

0_1464805779122_Capture.PNG

• GNU/Linux

@Alex-Papagiannis
    The NodeBB instance of your previous screenshot definitely does not use 1.1.4, that's how far I can tell for sure; The 1.1.4 version does not use /.images/svg anymore in any step.

So I can just repeat the steps to ensure an updated version for you:

# stop running instances
    npm rm nodebb-plugin-emoji-one # or rm -rf node_modules/nodebb-plugin-emoji-one
    # edit NodeBB/package.json; update nodebb-plugin-emoji-one version to 1.1.4
    npm install --production # or ./nodebb upgrade if you wish
    # start NodeBB as ususal

If that does not work, try npm cache clean and repeat. If it still does not work, there is something else wrong here.

• I followed all the steps still the same error. I will continue to monitor this thread just in case someone has a solution. Thanks @frissdiegurke I hope something will come up soon.

• Hi,
    I've the same error but not with one but for me all plugins get a rollback in the first version, i upgraded all but when I want to do restart, it came back for old version.
    So the error of emoji is the same...
    I'm in v1.0.4 and it is the same for my 2 forums (one in localhost and one in website)0_1464813785681_bug.PNG

• GNU/Linux

@LeChatP Since there is no NodeBB 1.0.4 released yet, I assume you're on the weekly branch. Might it be you have an (relic) npm-shrinkwrap.json within your NodeBB directory? If so, remove that.
    If there is none, please post the output of git status.

• Thank you very much @frissdiegurke ๐Ÿ˜…, also my problem still the same than @Alex-Papagiannis with emoji. So I think this plugin just don't work in his last version, I disabled it using ./nodebb reset -p nodebb-plugin-emoji-one and so my forum came back ๐Ÿ™‚ I think i will don't have any emoji but it doesn't matter instead of a complete forum ๐Ÿ™‚

• Any progress yet? I have the same problem! please do something. I like emojis and i need them

• GNU/Linux

I've had a conversation with the emoji-one support/dev and they reverted their (accidental) changes. Now 1.1.4 is not working anymore; every other version is. Released 1.1.5 because of this ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Still doesnt work. Nodebb is starting but in the composer I donยด t see the emoji icon nor is the auto completion feature working ๐Ÿ˜ž

• Pardon me, my mistake. The icon set wasnt active in the dasshboard

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.