v0.9.3: Nodebb not displaying certain text but showing the "variables" instead

• I am reporting an odd behavioral problem. I logged into my Nodebb forum which has two-factor authentication enabled for my acount. Upon logging in with my user/pass combination I was then presented with my two-factor screen. I noticed that the two-factor page was not displaying the actual text that should be there but rather just the "variables" of what the text should say. I ignored the problem with my mind passing it off as a Google two-factor glitch. The actual two-factor login did work fine.

Fast forward 30 minutes and I have run into the same scenario. I just installed the user invitation plugin, nodebb-plugin-newuser-invitation. I "reloaded" the forum and then went to the plugin settings. Here too I am not seeing the actual text of the plugin (as shown at the plugin's github page) but rather these short cut codes. I thought maybe a reload wasn't sufficient and did a "restart" of Nodebb. After the restart the same problem presented itself. Still thinking this is a server problem I went ahead and rebooted the actual Linux server. After the server reboot and then start up of Nodebb I again am seeing this problem. This is a screenshot of it:

0_1454950302659_newuser-invitation_plugin_settings.jpg

Does anyone have an idea of what is going wrong?

Thank you.

• Global Moderator

Just to rule out a bad update. Try the following

Git pull
    Npm update
    ./nodebb upgrade

• @a_5mith I've been running this version of 0.9.3 for about a month. I am leary about doing an upgrade as I don't want to go to "master / 1.0.0" until I know if my setup and plugins will work with it.

• Global Moderator

Git pull should pull whatever branch you're currently on. So unless you're on master. It will just pull 0.9.x again.

You can verify what branch you're on with Git status I think. On my phone so that could be wrong. Can't check it. :)

• @a_5mith What is your opinion on this:

$ git status
    # On branch v0.9.x
    # Untracked files:
    #   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
    #
    #       S3EnvironmentSettings

The S3EnvironmentSettings file is where I save my amazon-s3 plugin settings. I source this file before I start this instance of Nodebb

So all looked good so far. I did this:

[edit out stuff.. let me see if this posts]

Shoot.. now this site won't take this post "as-is" Akismet is flagging it as spam. Let me see what I can edit out

• @rod And now for more:

$ git pull
    remote: Counting objects: 2799, done.
    remote: Compressing objects: 100% (104/104), done.
    remote: Total 2799 (delta 1897), reused 1854 (delta 1854), pack-reused 841
    Receiving objects: 100% (2799/2799), 941.63 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
    Resolving deltas: 100% (2324/2324), completed with 610 local objects.
    From https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB
       9f14e8e..cf5decf  v0.9.x     -> origin/v0.9.x
       80fd0b2..c8d741a  master     -> origin/master
    Updating 9f14e8e..cf5decf
    Fast-forward
    [edit out list of things.. will Akismet take it now?]

Did I just update to master? Should that have happened?

I have not done anything else at this point.

• @rod Let's see if Akismet takes the following, which is what I cut out of the previous post:

NO. Akismet does not like me. :(

Screenshot time:
    0_1454953029169_git-pull_screenshot.jpg

So, with all of that posted (sorry about the cut-ups), is it safe to proceed and stay on 0.9.3?

• Plugin & Theme Dev

@rod what's the output of git rev-parse HEAD

• @pichalite

$ git rev-parse HEAD
    cf5decf5de6f3b1e0690d2c4deab1565c21989ef

• Plugin & Theme Dev

@rod there is nothing to worry... you are still on v0.9.x branch.

You would have got a lot more files when you ran git pull if it was master

• @pichalite Alright thanks. Let me continue on with @a_5mith suggestion of:

Git pull
    Npm update
    ./nodebb upgrade

• The "upgrade" (to the same version, 0.9.3) completed. After starting Nodebb up I am getting the same issues. Two-factor and the new user invitiation plugin are not showing the text.

This time I logged in while I still had ./nodebb log running on my console. Upon the two-factor page loading I saw this error displayed in the console:

8/2 10:52 [3466] - error: [translator] Could not load `2factor`: ENOENT, open '/home/centos/nodebb_installation/[myForumNameDirectory]/public/language/en_US/2factor.json'. Skipping...

Redacted this directory as it shows my forum name and am using this as a place holder for this post "[myForumNameDirectory]"

• I solved my problem.

Well, sort of. I changed my user language, in my profile from en_US back to en_GB.

Now my two-factor and user invitation plugin display properly.

But, why did my user profile language change? I do not recall changing it. Maybe I did at some point and I just do not recall. The last plugin I installed prior to today was the nodebb-plugin-newsletter to test it for the developer, in another thread.

I un-installed that plugin and it did not make a difference but that is when I noticed my user profile language was set to en_US.

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.