Redis server outdated, is actually v3.0.3

• whenever i try to start my nodebb installation, i get this:

axel@ns508402:~/nodebb$ ./nodebb log

Type Ctrl-C to exit

This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
    For the full license, please visit: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Clustering enabled: Spinning up 1 process(es).

21/7 11:25 [4530] - info: Time: Tue Jul 21 2015 11:25:33 GMT-0400 (EDT)
    21/7 11:25 [4530] - info: Initializing NodeBB v0.7.1-dev
    21/7 11:25 [4530] - error: Your Redis version is not new enough to support NodeBB, please upgrade Redis to v2.8.9 or higher.
    [cluster] Child Process (4530) has exited (code: 0, signal: null)

i've downloaded redis and compiled/installed it from the website, and when i check for the version:

axel@ns508402:~/nodebb$ redis-server -v
    Redis server v=3.0.3 sha=00000000:0 malloc=jemalloc-3.6.0 bits=64 build=619f7d62cb8790fc

version 3.0.3 is definitely higher than v2.8.9...anyone know the issue?

originally, i had used the redis-server package that came pre-loaded onto my dedicated server, and i had thought that to be the issue.

• Admin

Whenever this happens, it's usually one of two things. Either:

1. You have two installations of Redis, and how you're checking redis and how you're running Redis is different
    2. You did upgrade Redis, but you didn't restart it afterwards, so the running instance of Redis is still the old version.

Perhaps one of those apply? 😄

• hmm, i restarted redis, but i still can't start nodebb. by any chance do you know how to change the redis that nodebb tries to run?

thanks a lot. 👍

• Admin

NodeBB just connects to the redis server specified in config.json. So whichever one is bound to the port is the one that it connects to.

If you've installed redis via package manager, you should keep using that version instead of installing a newer version separately (it's just neater that way).

Use this PPA to upgrade Redis on Ubuntu.

• it's fixed! thanks for the help @julian 🙂

• Admin

Great! Glad I could help 😄

• In case anyone else in the future is reading this, I had the exact same problem when I was deploying NodeBB to AWS using the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS AMI.

I had installed the latest version Redis by compiling from source (see tutorial here: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-use-redis) but I had forgotten to uninstall the default redis-server package that came along with Ubuntu. After uninstalling the default redis-server package, the error message went away.

sudo apt-get --purge autoremove redis-server

• @truetuna
    thanks for the information.
    after issued the sudo apt-get --purge autoremove redis-server I would suggest reinstall the builded one in case of common files presence to be sure the uninstall didn't remove one or several builded one. I think it can be simple as going to build folder and do a

sudo make install

my 2 cents 😉

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.