API reveries

• In my quieter moments I often dream of a comprehensive RESTful API for NodeBB. The features that I would like to see:

• Sessions management - to be able to login with POST /sessions would be incredible for logging in via third party apps
    • User management - CRUD on users and ability to add to groups
    • Groups management - CRUD on groups

It seems to me that NodeBB has the opportunity to become so much more than a forum, freeing it from the constraints of orthodoxy to become a true communications platform. Plugins would be easier to write and therefore more prevalent. It just seems right...

• @babaggeii This is in the works. Not ready for use just yet, but soon.

• @a_5mith Is there any word of the extent of the api? From what I've read so far, posts are on the menu, but I haven't heard anything about sessions, users, groups, etc.

• @babaggeii You would need to get word from @julian on that, I'm not sure. I believe the plan is to have it open to control anything NodeBB can do. But I'm sure there's limitations on that. So I'm not the best person to ask. 😆

• GNU/Linux Admin

For security, it will be a plugin, and it should be able to mimic anything built into NodeBB.

Still need to build the initial security layer and add the API routes, so maybe I can sneak in a bit of work for that today 😄

It's one of my side projects, as there are other obligations I need to attend to for NodeBB.

• @julian said:

For security, it will be a plugin, and it should be able to mimic anything built into NodeBB.

That's incredible news - can't wait!

Suggested Topics

| |