Disabling Reputation Disables the Wrong Thing


  • Community Rep

    We want to disable reputation (tied to people) on our community. We have issues with people trying to game for "points" and that creates an unhealthy environment. We don't want people to have points (post counts are fine, people know what those are and what they mean.)

    When we disabled reputation, all it did was turn off up and down voting on threads and posts, which is not what we wanted. We still need posts and threads to get voted on so that people know what is good and can communicate when they like or dislike something. The reputation is still there for people, which is bad since it is now locked to the last time the up and down votes were still on.

    So the disable reputation doesn't disable reputation, but does disable voting. This is backwards to us. Everyone is hounding me that they need their voting. How can we actually disable reputation but not cripple the site in the process?



  • NodeBB uses a post-based reputation, which is what the voting is for. If you disable the system, then you would disable the ability to vote on posts. In your described scenario, it seems like the issue stems from users having a viewable reputation.

    You could always edit the templates to remove the display of reputation, though if you use a plugin such as the cards plugin, you would need to remove the reputation display from it's template as well.


  • Community Rep

    @Ted said:

    NodeBB uses a post-based reputation, which is what the voting is for. If you disable the system, then you would disable the ability to vote on posts. In your described scenario, it seems like the issue stems from users having a viewable reputation.

    It's only the reputation portion that we want disabled, not the post votes. That the votes on posts are then accumulated to make reputation that is the problem. It's the reputation system built on top of the post votes that we wanted to turn off. Instead that was left and ONLY the votes were turned off - that's backwards.


  • Community Rep

    @Ted said:

    You could always edit the templates to remove the display of reputation, though if you use a plugin such as the cards plugin, you would need to remove the reputation display from it's template as well.

    Exactly, this gets quickly complicated when there is a setting that is supposed to do exactly this.



  • Rather than removing it from the template, just drop this in your custom CSS.

    .account-stats div.inline-block.text-center:nth-child(1) {
    display: none;
    }
    

    This does mean that anyone with a bit of nounce about them could just untick the display none, but it does hide the rep from anyone that's not looking.


  • Community Rep

    @a_5mith said:

    Rather than removing it from the template, just drop this in your custom CSS.

    .account-stats div.inline-block.text-center:nth-child(1) {
    display: none;
    }
    

    This does mean that anyone with a bit of nounce about them could just untick the display none, but it does hide the rep from anyone that's not looking.

    Awesome, thanks. Testing out now.


  • Community Rep

    No luck, it still shows up. I must have done something wrong.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    No luck, it still shows up. I must have done something wrong.

    Can I just confirm you want to remove the reputation from this:

    Untitled.png

    So it looks like this:

    Untitled2.png

    EDIT: Is there somewhere else you want to remove it from? It's working on your profile.


  • Community Rep

    @a_5mith Ah, it did disappear from there. That helps, but here is where it seems more important (but both matter.)

    reputation.png



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @a_5mith Ah, it did disappear from there. That helps, but here is where it seems more important (but both matter.)

    reputation.png

    Ahh, the CSS doesn't look there, just a minute, I'll get some code for that one too.

    Here you go boss.

    .reputation {
    display: none;
    }
    

    And if you want to hide the link to Most Reputation:

    .users .nav.nav-pills > li:nth-child(4) {
    display: none;
    }

  • Community Rep

    @a_5mith said:

    .reputation {
    display: none;
    }

    Awesome, thanks. I tried something similar but didn't get it right and it did... nothing 🙂

    And boom... problem fixed!!

    Thanks


Log in to reply
 

Suggested Topics

| |