• Maybe I missed it, but can you watch a topic and get email alerts on updates/replies/etc?

Thanks,
    Tom

• @tkiblin When 0.5.1 is released, you will be able to do that, yes.

• GNU/Linux Admin

@a_5mith Will you? 😆 AFAIK I only did that for chat notifs...

Waiting on your PR then 😉

• @julian said:

@a_5mith Will you? 😆 AFAIK I only did that for chat notifs...

It's come to my attention that I rarely read the full post. 😆 Answered based on the topic title. And thought he meant the Watch on categories.

• Quick question on how watch works. Do you immediately receive an email when somebody responds to a watched post? Or is it just rolled into the digest?

BTW, the update speed on the preview pane is painfully slow right now. I can type about two words before it catches up.

• GNU/Linux Admin

If you enable the option in your user settings, the email goes out immediately. Otherwise, you are notified via in-app notification only.

Secondly, the preview is updated when you stop typing, so as to not send multiple requests to the server when typing many characters in rapid succession 🙂

• Is that an UX issue you guys think? This is the first time I've heard somebody complaining about it. So far I'm happy with it and this is considering I'm a bit of stickler when it comes to UX problems. As I type I'm looking at what I'm typing in the compose window not the preview window until I've finished typing

Totally a RFC, please feel free to open a discussion on our issue tracker maybe we can do something about it

• @julian said:

If you enable the option in your user settings, the email goes out immediately. Otherwise, you are notified via in-app notification only.

Secondly, the preview is updated when you stop typing, so as to not send multiple requests to the server when typing many characters in rapid succession 🙂

Why it is going to the server for the preview? Why can't it be rendered only on the client-side?

I understand that it might need to go to the server to auto-save your draft between sessions but IMO that should be separate from rendering the preview window.

@psychobunny said:

Is that an UX issue you guys think? This is the first time I've heard somebody complaining about it. So far I'm happy with it and this is considering I'm a bit of stickler when it comes to UX problems. As I type I'm looking at what I'm typing in the compose window not the preview window until I've finished typing

Totally a RFC, please feel free to open a discussion on our issue tracker maybe we can do something about it

I personally think it's a UX issue. I hate to always say, look at what xyz does but look at what Stackoverflow does and look at what Discourse does.

P.S. I like a lot of the changes made since the last time I visited. After my day job frees up some time, I'm immediately moving Axis & Allies .org Forums to NodeBB.

• GNU/Linux Admin

@djensen47 The preview is not just Markdown parsing. If it were, then we would've definitely gone the client-side route.

However, the preview mimics what the actual post would look like, and many plugins modify the post parsing behaviour to add additional syntax, etc.

For example: Typing gh#1000 embeds a GitHub block at the bottom of this post.

This requires a server-side parsing so we can fire off the relevant hooks.

• Sounds like you need a little isomorphic javascript in nodeBB. 😉

P.S., IMO the first-aid icon in the lower right corner of the compose window is confusing. I just clicked it and I still think it does something else. 😃

Suggested Topics

| | | |