I'm running NodeBB v0.6.1 and pushbullet plugin v2.0.4. Here is the interesting "stuff".......
From the first install, I have not been able to get the Pushbullet menu to pop up in the profile dropdown. I looked through the code and found the reference to the settings page /pushbullet/settings and then started down that road. I do have a newly created pushbullet account and was able to register the app through the link provided.
The Pushbullet layout is a little confusing, but the layout is client ID in the first box, secret in the second. I found this by switching them in the many testing iterations in that you will get an invalid client ID during the authorization process if you have them in the wrong place.
Once I found the /pushbullet/settings page and was able to start testing that process, I found that the URL being constructed as part of the approval message was jacked up (although, it was accurate for my configuration). My problem was that I used the following format for my "url" in the config.json:
"url" : "http://localhost:443"
I had modified this to get it to work via ssl and it would work just fine as long as you were not trying to reference from outside of the context of the config file.
I was able to hack the url tag to "https://www.mydomain.com" , but the app kept starting with the default port. I got into the app.js file and found where the "url" field was getting parsed for the port number and I just hardcoded that into the app.js file.
After reloading and again manually browsing to /pushbullet/settings, I was able to validate through the entire process and to the point of sending and receiving a test message!
As I began to test further, I found that no other push notifications were being sent. I manually browsed to /pushbullet/settings once again and found the checkbox to be empty for Enable push notifications. I clicked enable, saved it, and everytime I refresh the page, it is cleared.
I would associate this with that there is something missing as part of the config process (for both the menu item not appearing and the setting not holding). Doing a quick check of mongo, I am unable to find any reference to "pushbullet:enabled" in objects.
Sorry for the long rant, just trying to provide insight to what I've found. I don't think the issue has anything to do with the pushbullet service or API, rather something is going on in the plugin itself with regard to fields existing, etc.