NodeBB v1.6.1 Release

• Admin

The NodeBB team is pleased to release v1.6.1, a bugfix/patch release, for general consumption.

v1.6.1 is considered a patch release and there are few changes to note. By-and-large, this is a bugfix release and serves to address a couple of regressions and update failures that were experienced by some admins during the v1.6.0 launch.

Click here to see the full blog post

• This post is deleted!

• Gamers

Thanks @julian @baris for awesome work !

Based on my current usage of node bb I have following suggestions for you for your next update. It would be awesome if you guys can take these under consideration.

• The list option in post editor does not really work like a numbered list, I can't just hit enter and have a new number and new item.
    • Instead i have to manually put a * to make it a new point.
    • Can we please allow picture sharing & videos sharing/uploading in the private chat? With a small upload button, so that users can upload pics/gifs/videos from their laptop/device and upload and send it to other users in private chat. Trust me its a simple thing but very useful. Quora does it.
    • Can we have a new page on node bb , in a reddit style way, show lists of topics with upvotes sorted by descending order ?
    • Can we please have support for emos in private chat and shout box? I tried the plugins but they dont seem to work.
    • Can we have a personal picture section or user profile gallery just like Facebook albums, where users can upload their pics and others can like/upvote or comment on them? This will make huge difference,
    • A page like Quora news feed where we can see list of topics from all the users or categories which we are following. This will keep users engaged on the platform.
    • A block feature for users where we can block users so that we dont see their posts, messages etc. ?
    • Are we going to have a Node bb mobile app ever?

I know you guys are very busy! But I highly appreciate your consideration on these requests in the next update :)

PS: I did voted for you for the CMS Critic awards. :)

Many Thanks

• @faizanzahid said in NodeBB v1.6.1 Release:

Are we going to have a Node bb mobile app ever?

Is there a reason to have a NodeBB mobile app? NodeBB is developed as a public forum/community portal (and web-app), there is no argument in favor of creating separate mobile apps. Excluding a few hardcore members, would anyone install that app?

Mobile apps would give you:

• native User Interface, pointless: possible via web
    • hardware Accessibility (camera, microphone, accelerometer, etc.), pointless: why?
    • notifications are possible with a simple app that loads NodeBB into built-in browser and loads certain important event notifications via API, pointless: too specific, not enough arguments
    • efficiency: a community that really needs it, should build and maintain the apps (maybe open-source it) and use NodeBB API

A mobile app would be justified if:

• very complex calculations would be performed
    • native functionality or processing would be required
    • no internet-connection functionality required

In case someone would want to have a mobile app for a specific purpose, where some of the above-mentioned features are handy, the community owner has to create the task-specific app, using NodeBB API if that's the case.

For administration? Alerts? Admin app can be easily created even using a cross platform mobile development suites (we may post one for iOS if there is a need, we're still debating).

Also, NodeBB is created using JS+HTML. Mobile OS systems are going this direction as well, until the NodeBB mobile app would be ready, maybe there in no reason left at all 😐

Let me know if I am wrong but I don't see a solid argument for a mobile app. Creating and maintaining for iOS/Android would probably be a very bad idea; it takes pointless amount of time for no apparent reason but again, please prove me wrong if I missed something.

• This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.