Are we going to have a Node bb mobile app ever?
Is there a reason to have a NodeBB mobile app? NodeBB is developed as a public forum/community portal (and web-app), there is no argument in favor of creating separate mobile apps. Excluding a few hardcore members, would anyone install that app?
Mobile apps would give you:
- native User Interface, pointless: possible via web
- hardware Accessibility (camera, microphone, accelerometer, etc.), pointless: why?
- notifications are possible with a simple app that loads NodeBB into built-in browser and loads certain important event notifications via API, pointless: too specific, not enough arguments
- efficiency: a community that really needs it, should build and maintain the apps (maybe open-source it) and use NodeBB API
A mobile app would be justified if:
- very complex calculations would be performed
- native functionality or processing would be required
- no internet-connection functionality required
In case someone would want to have a mobile app for a specific purpose, where some of the above-mentioned features are handy, the community owner has to create the task-specific app, using NodeBB API if that's the case.
For administration? Alerts? Admin app can be easily created even using a cross platform mobile development suites (we may post one for iOS if there is a need, we're still debating).
Also, NodeBB is created using JS+HTML. Mobile OS systems are going this direction as well, until the NodeBB mobile app would be ready, maybe there in no reason left at all
Let me know if I am wrong but I don't see a solid argument for a mobile app. Creating and maintaining for iOS/Android would probably be a very bad idea; it takes pointless amount of time for no apparent reason but again, please prove me wrong if I missed something.