Best practices and guidelines for NodeJS apps

• Hey everyone!

First of all, I'd like to thanks you guys because I really think NodeBB is an awesome app and it's a pleasure using it.
    (I particularly love the plugin system which is really powerful!)

As a developer myself, I've used NodeJS for several personal projects and to play with some interesting libraries (Socket.io, React, require, and so on).
    But one think I am missing is some kind of guidelines reference.
    Something that would make me start every project with the same modules/directories setup.

For example, I'm really fond of the way NodeBB handles translation, plugins, templating and everything. I'd really like to adapt those to make something completely different (like a personal website or another sandbox).
    So, to summarize, I'd like to know where you get your inspiration from: do you have some talks/books/blogs/whatever that I could read and follow myself? Or is this just the result of lots of experimentations/ideas gathering?

Sorry if I'm not 100% clear with what I meant but it's kind of a meta question.

Thanks in advance.

• Something else that came to my mind: what IDE are you using to develop using NodeJS?
    I found Webstorm and it seems pretty good even though I haven't used it yet.

• Global Moderator

Webstorm is pretty great. I use VS Code because it has great intellisense.

• I second vscode.

• @PitaJ @insuusvenerati Does vscode have a way to directly launch the program, tests or things like that from the UI? And how does it work related to git?

• Global Moderator

@Telokis yes and yes. It has an integrated Node debugger that is pure awesome. It has an integrated git interface, too.

• @PitaJ @insuusvenerati Alright you guys totally convinced me, I downloaded VSCode and I'll give it a try!

• Feedback: Two days later, I'm totally in love with VSCode. It's really awesome and it made my life a lot easier! Thanks guys!

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.