Errors while installing new 0.9.0 to new CentOS 7 VM

• GNU/Linux

All your logs and screenshots show a nodejs version 0.10.x. That's heavily outdated. Which manifests itself fataly in

../node_modules/nan/nan.h:328:47: error: ‘REPLACE_INVALID_UTF8’ is not a member of ‘v8::String’
       static const unsigned kReplaceInvalidUtf8 = v8::String::REPLACE_INVALID_UTF8;

i.e. a module, that needs compilation, can't find a member (REPLACE_INVALID_UTF8) of the String class in v8. It must have been introduced later. Upgrading to 0.12.x at least should solve this problem.

• GNU/Linux

@rbeer said:

All your logs and screenshots show a nodejs version 0.10.x. That's heavily outdated. Which manifests itself fataly in

../node_modules/nan/nan.h:328:47: error: ‘REPLACE_INVALID_UTF8’ is not a member of ‘v8::String’
       static const unsigned kReplaceInvalidUtf8 = v8::String::REPLACE_INVALID_UTF8;

i.e. a module, that needs compilation, can't find a member (REPLACE_INVALID_UTF8) of the String class in v8. It must have been introduced later. Upgrading to 0.12.x at least should solve this problem.

Great. I can handle that. The problem then is the instructions are outdated even though someone updated them to show 0.9.x

https://docs.nodebb.org/en/latest/installing/os/centos.html

The instructions state to just pull nodejs from the repo. Looks like I cannot do that.

• GNU/Linux

That might be true. I am not familiar with CentOS and its package management.

Replacing the install instructions in question with nodesource (https://github.com/nodesource/distributions/tree/master/), might be a good idea. I know e.g. that Debian also has 0.10.x in its repos.

• GNU/Linux

For anyone else looking, here is how to get npm to install v.0.12.X

Off to start over again and see if it works this time.

• GNU/Linux

ends up like this.

img

• GNU/Linux

Looks like some error with the initial database configuration? Did this step change too?

[[email protected] nodebb]# ./nodebb setup
    16/11 10:15 [2991] - info: NodeBB Setup Triggered via Command Line

Welcome to NodeBB!

This looks like a new installation, so you'll have to answer a few questions about your environment before we can proceed.
    Press enter to accept the default setting (shown in brackets).
    URL used to access this NodeBB (http://localhost:4567)
    Please enter a NodeBB secret (10055f4c-8d74-49c1-8eb0-a9619bcaaaff)
    Which database to use (redis)

16/11 10:15 [2991] - info: Now configuring redis database:
    Host IP or address of your Redis instance (127.0.0.1)
    Host port of your Redis instance (6379)
    Password of your Redis database
    Which database to use (0..n) (0)
    Configuration Saved OK

[email protected] node_modules/redis

[email protected] node_modules/connect-redis
    └── [email protected] ([email protected])
    Populating database with default configs, if not already set...
    16/11 10:16 [2991] - warn: NodeBB Setup Aborted.
     undefined
    [[email protected] nodebb]#

• GNU/Linux

To answer my own question, the redis instance is not running if you followed the instructions to this point. So enter systemctl start redis

Then running ./nodebb setup will have the expected results.

This means that you also need to systemctl enable redis if you want it to work after reboot

• GNU/Linux

A quick firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=4567/tcp --permanent and firewall-cmd --reload later
    And there we go.
    img

Thanks @rbeer for the information about nodejs versions. I did not see the indicator that you did obviously.

• GNU/Linux

created a pull request on the instructions.
    https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-english/pull/68

• GNU/Linux

@JaredBusch said:

A quick firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=4567/tcp --permanent and firewall-cmd --reload later
    And there we go.
    img

Thanks @rbeer for the information about nodejs versions. I did not see the indicator that you did obviously.

Very nice! Glad to see it working now. 👍
    And, don't you worry! I was tearing my hair out for about an hour, when I stumbled upon that error some weeks ago. 🙂

Suggested Topics

| |