Watch Category or Sub Category

• Is there anyway to watch a Category or Sub Category? I want certain users or groups to be notified when a new topic is created in certain categories.

A little like the option that Discourse has:

"You will automatically watch all new topics in these categories. You will be notified of every new post in every topic, and a count of new replies will be shown."

Thanks,

• Admin

All categories are watched by default and you get new posts in the /unread section. There is a ignore button on each category, clicking it will ignore that category and you won't see new posts in /unread.

• Hi, yes i just noticed that its by default and thats why i didnt see the button 🙂 . I was wondering if there was a way to get email notifications in the same way as it notifies the unread section? I tried the email notification plugin but it doesnt seem to do anything apart from have a constant loading icon in the top right. Thanks

• Admin

To get emails of new replies in topics, watch the topic and turn on email notifications in your user settings page.

• I was wanting to get emails for new topics in categories... not replies to topics. I would like certain users (lets call them category admins) to receive emails when a user posts a new topic in their category..

So for instance we have category Products:

• Products
      • Product A
      • Product B

What i was after is that as soon as a topic is posted in on of those sub categories the category admin gets an email - since they will not always have the site open.

Thanks

• Admin

• Thats the plugin i tried at first but it doesnt seem to work with the latest nodebb.. When this plugin is enabled and you go to a category the loading bar gets stuck (the forum still works though). I left comment on github for the author. Thanks

• If anyone else is wondering.. I fixed this by modifying the following file:

node_modules\nodebb-plugin-category-notifications\public\scripts\client.js

I changed:

var cid = ajaxify.variables.get('category_id');

to

var cid = ajaxify.data.cid;

• Admin

@whitts Thanks for figuring that out, I applied the fix and published 1.0.6.

• @baris Hello, could there be an issue with this plugin in the following scenario:

User follows a category, user posts, user changes username, another user replies to the post?

I tried this and nodebb crashes each time, i had to log in with the user that changed the name, unwatch the category and then nodebb stopped crashing..

Thanks,

• Admin

Please post the stack trace when you get a crash.

• @baris Thanks baris, i will see if i can get a dev server setup to test it since i removed the option for username changes.

On a sidenote, is there a way to disable emails for post replies? Since if the user is both subscribed and watching a topic they will get two emails, one from this plugin and one from the system. I tried enabling the "Disable subscriber notification emails" option at the bottom of the nodebb email settings but i still get two emails.

• @baris Hello wasnt sure whether to start a new topic or not but i couldnt find the main topic for this plugin.. Is there a way to force a user to watch a category? I am using this as an internal company forum and need people to keep receiving emails for new topics (whether they like it or not)... and from what i can tell people have found out how to unsubscribe pretty quickly.

Thanks,

• I just wanted to add that in order to use the plugin, you must on your site include a <div> or <span> with component="category/controls" (it may be empty). As you can see in the public/scrips/client.js, it's looking for that element and adding the button into it, along with its functionality.
    Hope that helps and saves people some time!

Star

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.