Filtering posts based on a few paramaters?

• I have a few ideas about plugins. I want to use solr to create a plugin that updates the view in an ajax fashion. So basically on each keypress I ask for some data and in realtime update the list of posts/topics.

I also want to have a filtering dropdown that allows me to select if I want to view the "latest" posts, "popular posts", or "unanswered" posts while updating the list in realtime.

Normally I would use angular, or backbone for a job like this, theoretically I could implement them and copy the template from my theme into a client side template and hack like that, but its messy.

I am curious how can I make some calls i.e solr/filterBy then use the response to update the view in a NodeBB way?

I can dig into some existing plugins, but I want to ask here for some insights and possibly be pointed towards themes/plugins that have similar like features. I know NodeBB is already using ajaxify, so I could read more about it and maybe I can do something with that.

Thanks

• Global Moderator

+1, would be good to see.

• Admin

We do something similar in groups details page (the member search). It's nothing special just jquery

• Global Moderator

@psychobunny Sooooo it could be factored into tags and categories? :p

• Ok so I have successfully done this with solr!

This is probably obvious to all expert nodebb people here, but for me I had to really look at the source code/docs/google to understand how the eco system works.

After configuring the nodebb-plugin-solr the api call out of the box looks like /api/search/KEYWORD?in=titlespost I am still trying to figure out how the plugin is hooked up with the core and how this route triggers the solr query.

Simply with ajax I just make a get request to the route and with the response I see now how I can use ajaxify.

// search function
    $('form.search').on('submit', function(e) {
        e.preventDefault();

var word = $(this).find('input.searchV').val();

$.ajax({
            url: '/api/search/'+word+'?in=titlesposts',
            type: 'get',
            dataType: 'html',
            success: function (data) {
                var parsed = JSON.parse(data);
                var results = parsed;

console.log(results);

// TODO: pass results.posts into template
                ajaxify.loadTemplate('partials/search_results_topic', function(resultItem) {
                    var html = templates.parse(resultItem, results);
                    $('.topic-list').html(html);
                });

},error: function(data) {

// TODO: error handling
                console.log(data);
            }
        });

});

• Community Rep

fyi You can use $.get as a shortcut function.

$.get('/api/search/'+word+'?in=titlesposts', function (results) {
      console.log(results);
    });

• @yariplus lol yeah would be more simpler, I know about that method, but I went with the longer approach because my first few tries I had issues so I made assumptions that it was data type or something. Thanks though, that method definitely makes the code look cleaner.

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.