Make Private Forum

• Hello,

I would like to do two things.

1. Whenever someone who is not logged in visits any page, I want to redirect them to the login page (or preferably to a login/register page but I don't think that exists).

2. I would like to make categories invisible to anyone who doesn't have access to them.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Aaron

• Thanks @baris. I appreciate that you guys are planning to include that feature in the next release. But it's really important that I figure out a temporary solution in the next week. Can you explain how I could tweak the code to this effect:

Upon request to visit any page except /login or /register:
    If user is logged in:
    send them to the page normally
    If user is not logged in:
    redirect to /login

Thanks a lot!
    Aaron

PS It would be great if posts could preserve spaces. It's hard to write pseudocode, for example, without spaces.

• GNU/Linux Admin

@aaron backticks for inline code like this, four space indent for block code

like this

• @aaron Give this a shot, warning it is hacky. Add the following snippet after this line : https://github.com/designcreateplay/NodeBB/blob/master/src/webserver.js#L431

function loggedIn(req, res, next) {
    	if(req.user && parseInt(req.user.uid, 10)) {
    		return next();
    	}

var allowed = ['config', 'get_templates_listing', '403', 'login', 'register'];
    	if(req.params && allowed.indexOf(req.params.route) !== -1) {
    		return next();
    	}

res.status('403');
    	res.redirect('/403');
    }

app.all('/api/:route', loggedIn);
    app.get('/', loggedIn);

I couldn't manage to redirect to the '/login' page for some reason. Maybe someone else has a better way to do it. This will redirect to 403.

• Thanks a lot @baris! I'll try it out when I fix the random bug that just cropped up. It would be great if I could redirect to an arbitrary page though as I'd ultimately like to write my own welcome page and redirect there.

• Hi @baris, @julian, I got everything working again and gave your solution a try. It succeeded in preventing non-logged in visitors from visiting the home page. But if someone had a direct link to a category page they could still go there. Any other ideas? I'd really like to redirect to a custom welcome page or at least the registration page if possible and it's important that every request (except those to /login or /register gets routed there if the user isn't logged in). I really appreciate your help! You've built a great piece of software.

Best,
    Aaron

• Try changing app.all('/api/:route', loggedIn); to app.all('/api/:route/*?', loggedIn);

• Perfect, thanks!

Do you also know how I could do one of these three things?:

1. Redirect to /register
    2. Redirect to a custom page I could base off a template page which I could find...where?
    3. Customize the /403 page

Thanks again @baris!

• https://github.com/designcreateplay/NodeBB/blob/master/public/src/templates.js#L206

You can change that line to return ajaxify.go('/register'); then all forbidden pages will redirect to register. You can then change the register.tpl file.

• Hi, thanks again @baris.

I just tried: return ajaxify.go('/register'); It didn't seem to work unfortunately.

Additionally, I now realize that the fix I said worked has a problem. While it redirects you to /403 if you type the home address into the browser, the links in the top left (home, recent, users) still work. Any idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks,
    Aaron

• Try :

function loggedIn(req, res, next) {
            return next();
        }

return next();
        }

res.status('403');
        res.redirect('/403');
    }
    app.all('/api/:route/*?', loggedIn);
    app.get('/', loggedIn);

and

return ajaxify('register') in the template file. That works for me.

• Hmmm...now if I click on those links, all but the header disappears. For example, if I click the users icon, the address changes to /users, but the screen goes blank except for the header.

Is it possible my problems have to do with my Redis store? I'm getting this readout from the terminal where I launched the redis server:

[17580] 04 Feb 17:14:56.496 # Server started, Redis version 2.8.4
    [17580] 04 Feb 17:14:56.497 * DB loaded from disk: 0.002 seconds
    [17580] 04 Feb 17:14:56.497 * The server is now ready to accept connections on port 6379
    [17580] 04 Feb 17:15:57.017 * 10 changes in 60 seconds. Saving...
    [17580] 04 Feb 17:15:57.018 * Background saving started by pid 17592
    [17592] 04 Feb 17:15:57.018 # Failed opening .rdb for saving: Permission denied
    [17580] 04 Feb 17:15:57.118 # Background saving error
    [17580] 04 Feb 17:16:03.052 * 10 changes in 60 seconds. Saving...
    [17580] 04 Feb 17:16:03.052 * Background saving started by pid 17596
    [17596] 04 Feb 17:16:03.053 # Failed opening .rdb for saving: Permission denied
    [17580] 04 Feb 17:16:03.153 # Background saving error

• This post is deleted!

• Make sure your browser cache is disabled when you are testing this. return ajaxify('register'); works fine for me but I got the same result you described when I tried return ajaxify('/register');.

About your redis issue looks like the user redis running under doesn't have permission to write to that location.

• Thanks. That's what I figured, so I went to the directory with dump.rdb and did sudo chmod 777 dump.rdb and this is the output of ls -l:
    total 16
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root wheel 5654 Jan 30 20:26 dump.rdb

Also, I definitely did register, not /register. So not sure what the problem is there.

I appreciate your taking the time to help me out with this!

• function loggedIn(req, res, next) {
            return next();
        }

return next();
        }

res.status('403');
        res.redirect('/403');
    }
    app.all('/api/:route/*?', loggedIn);

Looks like you don't need the last route. With the above code and the return ajaxify('register'); in templates.js it redirects to register for me. Let me know if it doesn't work.

• It doesn't work for me. I put that block of code indented after the line:
    app.namespace(nconf.get('relative_path'), function () {

I think this might be another caching issue, but it keeps forgetting who I am and I keep having to call flushall on the database and doing node app --setup again to be able to log in and test it.

• This post is deleted!

• I'm not sure why you are getting that permission error. @julian might have a better idea.

Suggested Topics

| |