I cannot get this up and running on a domain - i got it going on an ip and port only by luck i believe

• I have tried every trick in the book - replicating my environment with a snapshot on digital ocean - fresh install onto ubuntu droplet... one click deploy of node on DO... Docker install onto an ubuntu droplet with node. manual installation of node/npm on a clean droplet. my result every time is what your about to see:

same on aws.

the only time i have installed this without error was on a DO droplet that's been up and running for a long time. - running wordpress and nginx - with hhvm and redis - it's full ssl - no wildcard cert - can't afford it - i have a md cert but don't run anything but nginx so that won't solve the ssl issue. one per ip - unfortunately.

i did manage to get it up and running on ip and port. here is my config where it was installed successfully without a single error - (bear in mind that this server was already running, configured, etc) - i would keep it and create another vhost for it - but it will not under any circumstance allow a domain to resolve to it... first the failure output after adding your repo (i'm assuming repo is yours) - and running apt-get update && apt-get dist
    ERR! build error
    gyp ERR! stack Error: not found: make
    gyp ERR! stack at F (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:43:28)
    gyp ERR! stack at E (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:46:29)
    gyp ERR! stack at /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:57:16
    gyp ERR! stack at Object.oncomplete (evalmachine.<anonymous>:108:15)
    gyp ERR! System Linux 3.13.0-57-generic
    gyp ERR! command "node" "/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
    gyp ERR! cwd /root/myNodebbApp/nodebb/node_modules/heapdump
    v0.10.37node -v-
    gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v1.0.1
    gyp ERR! not ok
    npm WARN engine cryptiles@2.0.5: wanted: {"node":">=0.10.40"} (current: {"node":"0.10.37","npm":"1.4.28"})
    npm WARN engine hoek@2.16.2: wanted: {"node":">=0.10.40"} (current: {"node":"0.10.37","npm":"1.4.28"})

utf-8-validate@1.1.0 install /root/myNodebbApp/nodebb/node_modules/socket.io/node_modules/engine.io/node_modules/ws/node_modules/utf-8-validate
    node-gyp rebuild

gyp ERR! build error
    gyp ERR! stack at F (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:43:28)
    gyp ERR! stack at E (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:46:29)
    gyp ERR! command "node" "/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
    gyp ERR! cwd /root/myNodebbApp/nodebb/node_modules/socket.io/node_modules/engine.io/node_modules/ws/node_modules/utf-8-validate
    gyp ERR! node -v v0.10.37
    gyp ERR! not ok
    npm WARN optional dep failed, continuing utf-8-validate@1.1.0

bufferutil@1.1.0 install /root/myNodebbApp/nodebb/node_modules/socket.io/node_modules/engine.io/node_modules/ws/node_modules/bufferutil
    node-gyp rebuild

gyp ERR! build error
    gyp ERR! cwd /root/myNodebbApp/nodebb/node_modules/socket.io/node_modules/engine.io/node_modules/ws/node_modules/bufferutil
    gyp ERR! not ok
    npm WARN optional dep failed, continuing bufferutil@1.1.0

utf-8-validate@1.1.0 install /root/myNodebbApp/nodebb/node_modules/socket.io-client/node_modules/engine.io-client/node_modules/ws/node_modules/utf-8-validate
    node-gyp rebuild

gyp ERR! build error
    gyp ERR! cwd /root/myNodebbApp/nodebb/node_modules/socket.io-client/node_modules/engine.io-client/node_modules/ws/node_modules/utf-8-validate
    gyp ERR! not ok
    npm WARN optional dep failed, continuing utf-8-validate@1.1.0

bufferutil@1.1.0 install /root/myNodebbApp/nodebb/node_modules/socket.io-client/node_modules/engine.io-client/node_modules/ws/node_modules/bufferutil
    node-gyp rebuild

gyp ERR! build error
    gyp ERR! cwd /root/myNodebbApp/nodebb/node_modules/socket.io-client/node_modules/engine.io-client/node_modules/ws/node_modules/bufferutil
    gyp ERR! not ok
    npm WARN optional dep failed, continuing bufferutil@1.1.0

mmmagic@0.4.0 install /root/myNodebbApp/nodebb/node_modules/mmmagic
    node-gyp rebuild

gyp ERR! build error
    command "node" "/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
    gyp ERR! cwd /root/myNodebbApp/nodebb/node_modules/mmmagic
    gyp ERR! not ok
    \

lwip@0.0.7 install /root/myNodebbApp/nodebb/node_modules/lwip
    node-gyp rebuild

gyp ERR! build error
    gyp ERR! cwd /root/myNodebbApp/nodebb/node_modules/lwip
    gyp ERR! not ok
    npm ERR! heapdump@0.3.7 install: node-gyp rebuild
    npm ERR! Exit status 1
    npm ERR!
    npm ERR! Failed at the heapdump@0.3.7 install script.
    npm ERR! This is most likely a problem with the heapdump package,
    npm ERR! not with npm itself.
    npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
    npm ERR! node-gyp rebuild
    npm ERR! You can get their info via:
    npm ERR! npm owner ls heapdump
    npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! System Linux 3.13.0-57-generic
    npm ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/bin/npm" "install" "--production"
    npm ERR! cwd /root/myNodebbApp/nodebb
    npm ERR! node -v v0.10.37
    npm ERR! npm -v 1.4.28
    npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
    npm ERR! not ok code 0

I don't know how or why i was able to get it running on this host - only on a port and ip without any error - i just rebooted and i'm not thinking it's going to survive... but we shall see. i was correct - did not survive - yes i installed forever globally as well. so back to square one. rm all files and try again. wordpress survived the reboot - however nodes did not. stumped. vhost on nginx -

server {
    listen 80;

server_name forum.example.org;

location / {
        proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
        proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
        proxy_set_header X-NginX-Proxy true;

proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:4567/;
        proxy_redirect off;

# Socket.IO Support
        proxy_http_version 1.1;
        proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
        proxy_set_header Connection "upgrade";
    }

}

my config for config.json was:

the minimal config specified in the documentation - specified hostname for nodes - and left everything else alone other than ports required for nodes to run on the redis server that I already was running. db number was changed to 1 rather than 0. however it did not survive the reboot. even with forever - not sure why. i'm currently trying with mongo instead - which I've never used. will keep you posted... when it comes to nginx i can do just about anything - so when i was unable to get a domain to resolve to the proxied host - i was stumped. Node/NPM are new to me - but i like the package management features - i also tried on another server running nginx with varnish - on ubuntu 12.04 its. no go. i love this project - which is why I want it so badly - i can get discourse up but i think that nodebb is much more resource conscious - and it's gorgeous - you guys did a good job - i just wish I could get it going. fyi any fresh install - complains about redis in the end. i have shell scripts i run to configure my servers with the latest version of redis - so anyone going through the tut on a fresh ops is gonna bang there head against a wall - i always run it with hhvm and nginx - that's my stack and when i'm feeling frisky i have a script for varnish config too. Anyway to get to the point - here is my config.json - you can see that node bb is running here:

{
    "url": "http://192.241.150.42",
    "secret": "don't mess around or i'll hack your grandmas underwear",
    "database": "redis",
    "redis": {
    "host": "127.0.0.1",
    "port": "6379",
    "password": "about grandmas underwear - i'll hack your girlfriend's",
    "database": "0"
    }
    }

have i changed the ip address to a domain and configured nginx accordingly - yes. i can't get it off a port nor can i get a domain to resolve there. no matter what. best i can do is ip and port.

• my apologies - i nailed it. for anyone with issues - dm me @carlcdavid on twitter for my solution - Especially if your config is similar to mine and you were going through the same issues. (not installed on a fresh vps - nginx, redis - with hhvm as there is a separate wp site - as well as docker).

• Global Moderator

Alternatively post it here in case others run into the same issue.

For anyone struggling with this...

Refer to the documentation, it'll likely be in there. Link to Documentation

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.