ACP parent-category picker not working

• @miluo Looks like you've got two nodebb folders now then, one called nodebb, and another called NodeBB-0.5.1.

The official method for pulling stable is git clone -b v0.5.x https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB.git nodebb

The actual files look fine, I would imagine that when you flushed the database (not a required step), it may have deleted the categories. When you ran nodebb setup a second time, did it ask you to create an admin again?

• @a_5mith
    (1)yes it did ask me to provide admin name, password. i provided it.
    (2) yes I have 2 folders. but i shutted down the nodebb process from one folder ~/nodebb , and from ~/nodebb-0.5.1 i did: nodebb start.
    (do i need to do: npm up ? I did not do that I assume npm install will take care everything).

• @miluo For a fresh install, npm install is sufficient. I wasn't sure if you'd upgraded or if it was a new install. 🙂

I'll mention @julian into this topic as he'll have a better idea on what could have gone wrong with your install.

You could try running git checkout v0.5.x then git pull in your nodebb-0.5.1 folder. Then restarting nodebb with ./nodebb restart. That would ensure you were actually on a stable branch. Then we can work from there with any other issues you may be encountering.

• @a_5mith i followed your instruction. now I got another issue - the header missed many things, and login in as admin seems not working....

Screenshot from 2014-10-05 17:36:38.png

• @miluo said:

@a_5mith i followed your instruction. now I got another issue - the header missed many things, and login in as admin seems not working....

Screenshot from 2014-10-05 17:36:38.png

Sorry, you also need to run ./nodebb upgrade too.

• @a_5mith @a_5mith thanks. now nothing works...
    do me a favour -- assuming i am new to NodeBB, and today I want to install fresh and run the stable working version of NodeBB locally. what's the exact steps i should follow? thanks.

• @miluo said:

@a_5mith @a_5mith thanks. now nothing works...
    do me a favour -- assuming i am new to NodeBB, and today I want to install fresh and run the stable working version of NodeBB locally. what's the exact steps i should follow? thanks.

Hmm, odd, assuming you're running Ubuntu, this: https://docs.nodebb.org/en/latest/installing/os/ubuntu.html

If you're not running Ubuntu, you will find guides for other distros on the left hand side.

• @a_5mith Thank you for help. yes i am using ubuntu. I followed the exact steps.

this time everything looks good. i can login as admin, and header looks normal.

howvere when i go to ACP manage category -- i still got the same problem as before -- it's empty.... it should show those default 12 categories ,,,,,,,,

• GNU/Linux Admin

@miluo, there's a small annoying bug that causes the ACP contents to be invisible in certain resolutions -- please resize your window width down about 200px or so...

Sorry for the inconvenience 😄 I should backport that fix...

• @julian thanks for the hint- yes i resize it show up. but i still notice some issue - after i click one category from the category picker window, the chose category didn't show in the parent category field. after i refresh the page, it then show up. but not a big issue.

i have a suggestion --- instead of using a popup menu window for a list of all categories, maybe just use a auto-complete text box to allow user to type in the category name.... this will be much simple when we have many categories (i.e more than 30....).

Thanks.

Suggested Topics

| |