Re: The Road to v0.5.0 and Beyond -- Write APIs
Lots of people have written in to let us know that they want deeper integration with NodeBB in some form. Right now, that's possible through plugins, although it's got a fairly high barrier to entry (you'd have to learn Node.js, for one, and lots of people aren't willing to do that).
We always mention that we have a public "read-only" API available for consumption (like this one!), though it'd be nice if a JSON/RPC write API were added so applications can ping NodeBB to add topics by sending a POST.
- The Write API will be available as a plugin
- This plugin is not going to make it in for v0.5.0, sorry
- Security will always be an issue
- I was thinking basic key-based authentication (create a key in the ACP page, send that key in the POST body for authentication)
- HTTPS will be required, although right now I can't think of a way to force it (or detect if it's in use...)
- IP based limitation would also be there, so you can limit requests to 127.0.0.1, for example
- Does anyone have need for OAuth authentication? Seems like a lot of extra work for little gain.
- Functionality would more or less mimic what's available with NodeBB
- Topic creation
- Topic posting
(Writing this is making me think about webhooks as well, but I've already got enough on my plate )