Getting specific categories through the API

• Hi nodebb-community,

I'm developing a widget that shows categories in material-cards-style on the homepage.

At the start there were only 4 root-categories, so it looked good. Now there will be 5 root-categories and that won't look good anymore. In library.js my render-function looks like this:

Widget.renderMaterialCategoriesWidget = function(widget, callback) {
            categories.getCategoriesByPrivilege('cid:0:children', widget.uid, 'find', function(err, data) {
                app.render('categories.tpl', {
                    categories: data,
                    relative_path: nconf.get('relative_path')
                }, function (err, html) {
                    widget.html = html;
                    callback(err, html);
                });
            });
        };

I'm interested in this part: categories.getCategoriesByPrivilege('cid:0:children', ..., ...)
    Can I provide an array of category-ids? Or is there any other way/function I can use to specify the categories I want to render?

• Admin

If you know which cids you want to load you can use Categories.getCategories(cids, uid, next);

• @baris thanks, that is exactly what I looked for:

var userProvidedCatIds = widget.data.catIds;

if (!userProvidedCatIds || userProvidedCatIds === '0') {
                categories.getCategoriesByPrivilege('cid:0:children', widget.uid, 'find', render);
            } else {
                categories.getCategories(userProvidedCatIds.split(',').map(Number), widget.uid, render);
            }

function render(err, data) {
                app.render('categories.tpl', {
                    categories: data,
                    relative_path: nconf.get('relative_path')
                }, function (err, html) {
                    widget.html = html;
                    callback(err, html);
                });
            }

Is there any doc-site / rtfm for the JS-API or do we have to look at the source to find appropriate methods and their parameters?

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.