Subcategories not working as expected.


  • @julian said:

    @miluo said:

    <div class="subcategories">
    <!-- BEGIN children -->
    <!-- IMPORT partials/category_child.tpl -->
    <!-- END children -->
    </div>
    

    This is all I added, so if that works for you, then great! πŸ™‚

    I'm currently working on a way of displaying the sub categories on the home page too. If I come up with something that looks ok. I'll PR it for your approval.

    Something like this, but better. Maybe have them before first post teaser instead.

    Untitled.png

  • NodeBB

    @a_5mith IMO they should go under the category name and description, since they are sub categories πŸ™‚ having them above the main category makes them look like they are more important.


  • @baris said:

    @a_5mith IMO they should go under the category name and description, since they are sub categories πŸ™‚ having them above the main category makes them look like they are more important.

    Look at Baris with his logical approach to things. πŸ˜› I'll see what can be done.

    EDIT: Still a bit of styling left to do. But something like this?

    Untitled.png

  • NodeBB

    Yeah that looks better. I wouldn't text-align:center them since everything else is left aligned in that box πŸ™‚

  • NodeBB

    Also @psychobunny fixed the weird arrow css so if you update lavender to 0.1.4 you should get those fixes.


  • The funny thing is, I haven't. πŸ˜† I'm not sure what's going on with that. I'll look into it.

    I'm making those edits to NodeBBs forum at the minute through the console. Did notice a forum update. So will copy it over to my testing server and edit there.


  • @Developers, is there a reason why the template gets parsed on a cold load, but not when you then go back to the home page?

    Code I'm using is basically the same as it is in category.tpl, except I'm calling a new file called category_child_home.tpl instead of editing core template.

    EDIT: See here http://a5mith.kd.io:4567/


  • @a_5mith @baris @julian when user read the posts for a category A, maybe better include those posts from subcategories of A ?


  • @miluo said:

    when user read the posts for a category A, maybe better include those posts from subcategories of A ?

    So you mean when a user hovers on a sub category on the homepage, it switches the preview to posts in those child categories? Not sure teasers are included in in the child categories. Could get a bit confusing.


  • @a_5mith said:

    @miluo said:

    when user read the posts for a category A, maybe better include those posts from subcategories of A ?

    So you mean when a user hovers on a sub category on the homepage, it switches the preview to posts in those child categories? Not sure teasers are included in in the child categories. Could get a bit confusing.

    No -- I mean when user click on a category X and go to the page for that category -- there are 2 parts - 1) list of sub categories ; (2) list of topics for category X ( I mean should the topics include topics created in the subcategories of categoryX?).

    from UI perspective, it's fine for homepage use lavender theme style, but for the category page with subcategories, the style of many boxes on top of list of topics seems not good.... better make the list of sub-categories very light for example just a list of text links.....

  • GNU/Linux Admin

    @miluo That seems a good compromise -- the code itself is working, just needs theme designers to add their magic touch πŸ™‚


  • Just to update topic :
    Problem solved with latest master. It's working like a charm now πŸ˜„

Suggested Topics

| |