I am currently searching for a new forum/community software for my small online gaming community. In general, I like what you are doing here. My game is also implemented with NodeJS.
Sadly, after some days of work with nodeBB, i am frustrated. Here are some issues:
- The documentation is poor.
- When i installed nodeBB, noone told me which branch i shall use to run a stable version. Currently i use master branch which is pretty much broken all the recent days.
- Some essential plugins like "custom-pages" or "custom-homepage" don't have a documentation at all. The README does not help any way.
- I cannot find any information about the upcoming (hopefully stable) version 1 release. When does it happen? Which features does it have?
- Core plugins (nodebb-theme-vanilla and nodebb-theme-persona) are broken all the time. Here is what my output.log lists as incompatible plugins with master branch:
- Most of the time when i make a change, i need to restart nodeBB twice. After the first attempt, the server responds with "Cannot get /".
- The customization options are very poor: Perona has nearly none, vanilla offers some few, but that's really not enough. E.g. Why is there no footer widget are in categories.tpl?
I really wonder if you have any kind of e2e testing. I would assume that core plugins run e2e tests to ensure everything works together before they are commited into master.
I mean, how do you want to provide a stable forum? The UX, okay. Its shiny in the first moments... but after some looks underneath the surface... i dont know.
Can you give me some information about your future plans to provide a stable version?