I’m an engineer at Maker Studios currently in the process of migrating our old forums from vBulletin over to NodeBB. We’ve got tens of thousands of users, approaching 100k posts. So far things are going well and all the feedback is great, great job! Now that I’ve learned my way around a bit I thought I’d speak up to ask for some input on a few things.
So far I’ve written a node script to dump our vBulletin data in the nodebb-plugin-import format (thanks @bentael ), spun up dev, test and prod environments on Heroku(v0.2.1, upgrade planned), loaded our data using the “plugin” (currently on RedisToGo), and written some code to integrate with our core applications user authentication to auto-create/login users to NodeBB. Another member of my team is working on a custom theme for us, not sure on the timeline on that, though.
Eventually I’m hoping to open source the VB dump script (not that it’s all that complicated) along with contributing back any bug fixes/features that are general enough to be useful to the broader NodeBB community. I’ll need some approvals from higher up for that, but things are looking good.
I’ve been working in a private fork for now, just created a new public fork today to generate pull requests if/when I have changes worth pulling upstream: https://github.com/MakerStudios/NodeBB
I’m about to create a few threads to discuss some issues we’re looking at before launch, any input would be greatly appreciated. I’ll link them from here in a moment.
- Search - looking into your discussions with @seti123, haven’t dug in quite yet. link
- Redis vs. Mongo - especially if it impacts search
- nodebb-plugin-import “issues” (got it working, some notes and a few questions @bentael ) link
- Converting “vb code” to markdown during data import, anybody have suggestions?
- Authentication “plugin” - I patched authentication.js to add express middleware(app.use()), but would like to refactor to a plugin if there’s a hook for that? link
Thanks for all your hard work, this stuff is great - keep it coming :).