SSO Endpoint without OAuth2orize

• @julian Got it working!! 👍 The routes ended up like this:

app.all('/oauth/token', function(req, res){
      res.send(200, 'access_token=' + req.body.code)
    })

app.all('/oauth/api', function(req, res){
      var userInfo = JSON.parse(req.query.access_token)
      Users.findOne({email: userInfo.email}, function(err, user){
        res.json(user)
      })
    })

NodeBB received the user data and I modified your plugin to handle the data accordingly. Finally, your plugin is currently asking for a templates directory, which I copy/pasted from the Facebook SSO plugin. Is that mandatory?

Best regards! Thank you so much, Julian!!

• Admin

Yay! Glad you for it working 🙂

A template page is not necessary if you are hard-coding the id and secret. Just remove the relevant parts of the code.

Actually, looking at the code now, there's nothing that points to ACP pages anymore -- are you sure you're up to date?

• @julian You are correct. Your GitHub plugin repository is fine, but if I install the plugin through npm install or NodeBB Admin Panel, then it comes with a plugin.json that has the line "templates": "./templates", which then causes me the error. So basically, your Github is at 0.2.3 but in NodeBB it shows that 0.2.2 is the latest:

upload-509a28e5-b95d-4519-80b8-5c91ff279b17

Maybe because I'm using 0.6.0? But not a big issue... Now I just need to figure out how to replace the Font Awesome icon with a custom one 😄

• Admin

@rdomzim ah, that plugin should really be removed from npm, actually...

• Hi Julian,

Currently we are trying to integrate SSO with respect to our nodejs application. Steps which we have followed are:

1. Installed "nodebb" module on app server
    2. Then installed "nodebb-plugin-sso-oauth-master" plugin
    3. Restarted nodebb

Currently i am trying to login a user from "nodeapp" to "nodebb" forum. Consider nodeapp is hosted on same server with different port(http://example.com:3000/users/login) and nodebb with another port(http://example.com:4567).

We are following token based approach to login in our nodejs app and same token can be used to login nodebb. Somehow i am not getting the flow, how to go about it.

Can you please suggest how to make a call to forum from my nodejsapp with a same login token.

• Admin

@nitinayir8 The sso-oauth plugin is merely a skeleton, you cannot install it as-is, you will need to fork it and modify it to communicate with your app's OAuth2 provider.

• @julian can you please guide us, what exactly we have todo to establish user login through our app. May be a flowchart or a sample code to get more idea about work flow. Currently we are stuck and not getting the workflow.

Thanks,
    Nitin

• @nitinayir8 @julian I second this request. We're also trying to establish oAuth integration with nodeBB, but the documentation on this is too limited.

• @julian : even I am looking out for the same..it would be great if you could provide us with proper documentation

• what oauth strategy are you using? Oauth2 you need to add the url to get the code, the url for the access token, and then a user api url which will return user information based off of the oauth2 access token.

• OAuth2. Tried several OAuth2 servers for the test environment. So far no luck, currently on oauth2orize.

How does nodeBB know to address the nodebb-plugin-sso-oauth plugin when requesting http://example.com/auth/my_plugin(/callback)? Currently it returns a "Not found" error. What helps a bit is overwriting strategies.url in line 125 with my own oauth2orize login URL 'http://oauth.example.com/login'. I can login now, but won't be redirected back to nodeBB. Manually opening http://example.com/auth/my_plugin/callback afterwards returns the "Not found" error, again.

There are crucial parts missing here, is there any working example code to use the plugin with any OAuth 2 server (e.g. oauth2orize) out there? A quick tutorial and/or code example would be very helpful. I'm thinking on switching to another forum solution as well. NodeBB seems to be a nice idea, but without detailed documentation its not worth implementing it.

• Admin

Hi guys, my apologies for not replying sooner as I've been away.

The sso-oauth plugin is a skeleton plugin, which means that it will get you about 90% of the way there, but I can't create a "generic" OAuth provider plugin because every OAuth2 provider is different.

When you fork the plugin and install it into your NodeBB:

1. You will need to change the values in the constants.oauth or constants.oauth2 section (and change type depending on whether you are using oauth 1 or 2).
    2. The "callback url" is inferred from your NodeBB setup. If the url in your config is example.org/forum, then the callback url will be example.org/forum/auth/$NAME/callback, where $NAME is what is set in the constants section.
    3. When you visit /auth/$NAME, it should kickstart the OAuth2 process by redirecting the user to constants.requestTokenURL. You shouldn't have to modify line 125.

• Admin

As an addendum, I'm not going to lie, configuring an OAuth2 provider is rage-inducing. You may want to consider a "login-override" instead, which would allow you to verify user credentials via the username/password login box on NodeBB, effectively bypassing NodeBB's username/password check in favour of your own:

| |