If someone creates the username Guest, all hell breaks loose.

• Plugin & Theme Dev Anime Lovers GNU/Linux

Would you change your name as well just to see? But yeah, I'm not sure how to fix this because its a new bug introduced I believe. @baris @julian

EDIT: Change it back because I don't want my name taken lol.

• Right, have made some progress with this, @bentael thinks it's down to the SMF importer and the allow guest posting that's been deprecated. So appears not to be a bug with NodeBB per se. But with the importer. As for how I fix this, I'm not sure, but I've closed the github issue as it's not strictly nodebb, but I'll keep this thread going for when one of the devs walks past. :)

• Plugin & Theme Dev

well, I don't think that the Importer is using the Guest account to preserver the Posts of the deleted or invalid users is an actual bug. It's just a way to keep the topics making sense, so no posts gets lost in the process.

However, respawing the Guest account after deleting it maybe a NodeBB bug or a mis-understanding, I think there is a better way to prevent the Guests from posting.

@julian @baris ?

• @bentael @psychobunny

Completing the set. First one in here wins internets. 😆 They haven't clocked on they can exploit this yet, but I can't see it being long.

• The Guest Glitch Exploit. I dig it.

• GNU/Linux Admin

The "guest" itself is not an actual account, per se. We detect whether a guest is posting by looking at the post object and checking for a blank userslug.

e.g.

{
    	"pid": "1",
    	"uid": "2",
    	"tid": "1",
    	"content": "<p>This was posted by a real account under the name &quot;Guest&quot;</p>\n",
    			-✂- snip snip -✂-
    	"user": {
    		"username": "Guest",
    		"userslug": "guest",
    		"reputation": "0",
    		"postcount": "1",
    		"banned": false,
    		"picture": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/c5d5cc05e15e794cdf17459b53e7a793?size=128&default=identicon&rating=pg",
    		"signature": "",
    		"groups": []
    	},
    			-✂- snip snip -✂-
    }

vs.

{
    	"pid": "3",
    	"uid": "0",
    	"tid": "1",
    	"content": "<p>Now I am posting as an actual guest.</p>\n",
    			-✂- snip snip -✂-
    	"user": {
    		"username": "[[global:guest]]",
    		"userslug": "",
    		"reputation": 0,
    		"postcount": "1",
    		"banned": false,
    		"picture": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e?size=128&default=identicon&rating=pg",
    		"signature": "",
    		"groups": []
    	},
    			-✂- snip snip -✂-
    }

• GNU/Linux Admin

Now, in hindsight, whoever implemented this checks specifically for the userslug by adding this in the template:

<!-- IF posts.user.userslug -->

Looking at it now, I believe this was done because our templating engine doesn't parse "0" correctly (interprets it as true), so we can't just check the poster's uid. (Guests have a uid of 0).

As it stands, it seems to be correctly handling the differentiation between a real guest and a user named "Guest". We also don't allow two users to share the same userslug.

We should update templates.js so that an integer uid is returned from getPostData, and interpreted correctly by templates.js...

• During account creation... if username guest, then have user choose new name. Shouldn't it be this simple? In theory?

• GNU/Linux Admin

Hearing back from @psychobunny now: It seems templates.js interprets "0" as true, and 0 as false (similar to javascript interpretation of those values).

• Core should be updated to return integers in the post/topic/category data.
    • Template should be updated to check the uid instead of a userslug

But this is more just for "better code" purposes... still seeing whether a user named "Guest" can do all sorts of shenanigans...

@dylenbrivera said:

if username guest, then have user choose new name. Shouldn't it be this simple? In theory?

Sure -- but "Guest" is a valid username, technically. No reason why not, from a technological sense, but in a social context, it's not "right", per se.

• GNU/Linux Admin

Note the correct handling in the topic:

User named "Guest"

Selection_008.png

A real guest

Selection_009.png

• @julian Should read "A guest has posted..."

• That would allow enough room to differentiate.

• GNU/Linux Admin

Have banned a Guest user, user can no longer post, as expected (although there's a "double reply button" glitch, gh#1749, that needs to be taken care of).

User also can't downvote.

barisusakli created this issue in NodeBB/NodeBB

closed double reply button #1749

• Wowzers a lots happened in here since I went off to make Chicken & Chips... So what's the final verdict? 😆 Am I safe if I just ban that user?

• GNU/Linux Admin

Issues Identified

• Banning a user should log out that user's browser tabs. This used to be the case, but seems to have regressed
    • issue #1749, as mentioned in the previous post.

At this time, we cannot reproduce the issue of a banned or deleted user being able to downvote another user's posts...

• @julian Well, I can't tell if it's just that user, as it doesn't say who downvoted you, there's another "forum" that like to stop by mine every now and then and cause as many issues as they can. The issues of running a forum. 👀

• GNU/Linux Admin

@a_5mith If you could find out how they managed to skirt around the downvoting, that would be helpful :)

• @julian I think a user, or multiple users, just went through and started downvoting my posts. 😆

I don't think the downvote is being exploited, I just happen to be babysitting some people with too much time on their hands.

• GNU/Linux Admin

I empathise 😦

In the meantime, you can always reset your rep by db diving... hset user:1 reputation 5

Though I don't vouch for the safety of doing so :)

• @julian I'll leave it then. 😆 Still trying to work out why my server RAM is at 69% with the occasional BB restart. :(

Suggested Topics

| |