NodeBB is better - Discourse is better

• This is definitley better 😛 I kinda like NodeBB extremley 😛

• Admin

Alright, feedback received 😄

• GNU/Linux

You know i really like to try nodebb unfortunately it doesn't have installation based on docker for easy upgrades.

Since i failed at installing nodebb via digitalocean and successfully installing discourse following the beginner docker guide -> +1 discourse

Any up-to-date tutorial for newbie non developer hobbyist to install nodebb on digitalocean?

• @Nur https://docs.nodebb.org/en/latest/installing/cloud.html

The site that holds the digitalocean step by step tutorial seems to be down, but may be temporarily since is owned by @psychobunny . I think theres docker support too for nodeb now.

Edit: https://docs.nodebb.org/en/latest/installing/docker.html?highlight=docker

• GNU/Linux

Weird upvote button should be at the bottom and bigger.. what if it is a long post.

Also will be cool when i'm composing a reply,i can view the thread as well - discourse style 😅

• Admin

@Nur On desktops, you can view the thread 😄 Just click the taskbar button to minimise the composer.

• here's some small addition to what I want to see for nodebb that I liked from discourse.

• keyboard shortcut for the text editor (its faster to use keybord shortcuts)
    • link clikcs number showing (this is somehow very important to if people do really show interest on my post and it also adds attraction to the post and curiousity)
    • highlight quote (discourse does have this hopng to see it also here or in a plugin)
    • search realtime results when typing
    • image does not show in a lightbox

although I am not sure if this has already been implemnted here on nodebb via plugin or core features

so far those are the things I think missing as far as I used the discourse for a couple of months and now migrating to nodebb 👍

• GNU/Linux

I spent more time messing with Discourse, this is my impression of the two so far:

What I liked most in NodeBB so far:

• less memory usage
    • faster and lighter
    • downvotes
    • option sort replies by most voted

What I like in Discourse and didn't find in NodeBB:

• wiki posts
    • reply by e-mail
    • got better results in search with Discourse (used mongodb dbsearch in nodebb)
    • poll plugin
    • the message in the end of the topic asking users to register seems to be working
    • I managed to have topic thumbnails using the first image from the topic body

• For what it's worth, I ended up going with NodeBB.

Node + MongoDB (or Redis) just makes life so much easier than Rails. The plugin system here is great. I have no regrets I think what this team has done is awesome!

So for me it's solved. NodeBB is better. 😉

• Admin

@djensen47 Thanks for the kind words, always love hearing about converts from all sorts of forum software 🙂

Suggested Topics

| |