• @dunlix But then he will need a constant connection to the network, right?

• Community Rep

@dunlix said in Is there free hosting?:

On nodebb.org it doesn't clearly show anyway of hosting yourself,

So these docs were insufficient?

They reference LTS 18 rather than 20. Something else that needs updating?

• GNU/Linux Gamers

@gotwf I mean to a first time user the only option they see is the paid hosting. I used the docs and that site, especially since I don’t think the docs helped you get a let’s encrypt certificate.

• GNU/Linux Gamers

@הערשלה true, you need a constant connection, but as I’ve said you could use a VPS but that costs money. NodeBB doesn’t use much bandwidth for my small forum, so if you have an old computer try using that.

• Community Rep

or copy and paste/click this link:

Vultr has its attractions. But also its deterrents. For me chief amongst which is the overly draconian vibe I get from their TOS w.r.t. DMCA and forum hosts, specifically. Yeah, forums can lend themselves to copyright abuse. But that does not mean all do. Trouble is that the DMCA is abused to bully small operators who otherwise make conscientious efforts at fair use.

You shall notify Us of all domains, web pages or IP addresses for which You are acting as Service Provider.
    You shall comply with 17 U.S.C. §512 of the DMCA by properly designating an agent for receipt of copyright infringement notices, and You shall publish a link on the home page of any website for which You are a Service Provider to a DMCA Notice and Takedown Policy, identifying the website's designated agent and associated contact information.
    You shall provide Us with a current link to Your DMCA Notice and Takedown Policy and further advise Us of any changes to Your Designated Agent contact information. This shall be a continuing obligation for as long as You use Our Services.

Get it in all it's glorious detail: https://www.vultr.com/legal/tos/ See section 12.9 if only interested in forum service provider bits referenced above, eh?

Anywho... I am sure pretty much every provider has similar but ... dunno... just makes me nervous my hole in the wall stuff will have the plug pulled and be history so fast it'd make my head spin over some otherwise innocent newbie member mistake... 💫 😵

Because there are also other asshats that would abuse DMCA - if only because they can. They know ultimately they've no leg to stand upon but simply making the accusation and filing requires investment of assets I'd rather invest other places! 🐕 ✌

• Community Rep

@gotwf said in Is there free hosting?:

Because there are also other asshats that would abuse DMCA - if only because they can.

Sega of America did that last week to the SteamDB guys. Files a completely false DMCA request and then refused to respond when SteamDB told them that their request wasn't valid. Sega provided no proof or evidence, and just threatened all of the hosts until SteamDB was extorted to take down information on Sega's distribution numbers under a claim that they were distributing software. Total constitutional violation and clearly stepping into RICO violation territory, but the DMCA makes you pretty much immune to any prosecution.

• Community Rep

@הערשלה said in Is there free hosting?:

I must!!!
    Is there such a thing ???

Free hosting will never really happen. I mean obviously some person who wants to donate hosting "could" do so, but it makes no financial sense. Hosting a site like a forum takes a lot of resources and no business is going to want to give away those expensive resources just to give you free hosting.

Of course, under the right conditions, someone will give you the hosting, but they will do so because they are getting something in return. It might not be direct money, but something. It costs money for a site to be hosted. If you aren't the one paying for it, someone else is on your behalf.

• GNU/Linux Gamers

@gotwf I don’t really care about vultr, I’ve never really used it. I didn’t read their tos and whatnot because I was just reading this I googled how to set up nodebb forum and that came up

• Community Rep

@gotwf I don’t really care about vultr, I’ve never really used it. I didn’t read their tos and whatnot because I was just reading this I googled how to set up nodebb forum and that came up

We have one of the busiest NodeBB platforms, hitting 191m hits a month, and we just moved to Vultr from Linode. I doubt AWS will hold a candle to it, AWS costs a premium for their extra features but I think for NodeBB hosting the raw power and simplicity of Vultr will prove a better platform and more cost effective. Vultr is absolutely what I'd recommend if you are going to host NodeBB with any real scale.

• Community Rep

@scottalanmiller Except as you point out... DMCA abuse and.. coupled w/rather draconian TOS verbiage... makes me skeer'd to go with them. I wonder what DO's terms w.r.t. forums are? Somebody should research that. 😉

• Community Rep

@gotwf said in Is there free hosting?:

@scottalanmiller Except as you point out... DMCA abuse and.. coupled w/rather draconian TOS verbiage... makes me skeer'd to go with them. I wonder what DO's terms w.r.t. forums are? Somebody should research that. 😉

DMCA abuse happens with any hosting in the US, and the Sega situation was on AWS I believe. TOS is meaningless here as what they "require" is already guaranteed under US law. So if you host in the US, that TOS is just informing you of the law, not draconian whatsoever. They are actually better, in that they are being honest and up front and not making you discover US law on your own.

• Community Rep

@scottalanmiller Alrighty then. Best get to posting up those required notices and contacts. Else just not sweat compliance of the foregoing thereof... Have mercy! 😉

• GNU/Linux Gamers

@scottalanmiller literally I’m saying I only used it to just read that tutorial I had no Idea what the purpose of the site it

Suggested Topics

| |