• Community Rep

@omega said in Timeline-style topic listing:

Yes less is MORE.

+1

But not always. It's a delicate balance.

Agree re: clutter, of course! - but I did not notice you made the buttons hidden to reveal on mouse over... until I read your post.

Hmmm. Ask yourself, would a user think to roll over a post to find mystery functions?

+1.

Yes, exactly!! Especially in the case of less savvy users. Heck, I get tripped up on it a lot as well. And... I've also watched smartphone savvy kids miss some of those.

Like everything, the technique may have its uses. But also like everything, also its overuse, in many cases just to "keep up" with cool and hip kids on the block, who may or may not have actually had a good idea but DID have a huge audience. Hence the popularity of many piss poor ideas. Herd mentality. Let's all be lemmings and rush off that cliff cuz we gots to be w/the in crowd. Heh...

[....]

The version hanging in Madrid, Del Prado, went from this (last update!)

377af460-14b6-469b-a222-c93874c7c86f-image.png

... to this after 2 years of restoration (previous version!):

Heh... How can one not quote an image of the Mona Lisa, eh?

What version is nodeBB heading towards?

Good question. And even better that the NodeBB crew even ponder such things. 👍

• GNU/Linux Admin

@gotwf @omega Thy will be done, the auto-fadeout has been reverted. 👿

• Community Rep

My latest update on the layout issue with the timeline styling, i.e. still having display layout problems

I'm a Mac user so it's --- Safari Version 14.0.3 (15610) - Screen shots below.

2nd Feb #1
    new-persona-timeline-2021-layout-issues.png

2nd Feb #2
    new-persona-timeline-2021-layout-issues-02.png

• Community Rep

This is now fixed. Great job! 👍

Now to see if I truly like it 😉

• Community Rep

One point that is awesome, and I can not remember how it works don previous versions right now.

When scrolling down, keeping the TOPIC title on top is a wonderful thing.

The hide nodeBB nav bar and all that jazz going on appears to be more stable one Safari (macOS).

So I am not enjoying it probably as it was intended to be - - - Much improved! Seriously 👍

• Community Rep

@omega Nice. Except... I'd still like to see that vertical blue line connecting ava's go away. It's more a distraction than attraction from where I sit. Could someone please explain its actual purpose? Other than some folks may find it aesthetically pleasing? Cuz other than that, I am missing it.

• Community Rep

Funny I had this about to post:

@julian - I'd like to play with the timeline styling if possible... is that possible or is it locked up in code?

Iv'e looked at git, there is a lot going on there... I tried to play but only got errors.

I assume what up on git

less/mixins.less

Is where the magic happens... and of course I tried to paste it all in the CSS/LESS editor to see what would happen.... error city, btw the way the errors are nice, rather informative errors. I don't remember that on earlier version.

• Community Rep

@gotwf said in Timeline-style topic listing:

@omega Nice. Except... I'd still like to see that vertical blue line connecting ava's go away. It's more a distraction than attraction from where I sit. Could someone please explain its actual purpose? Other than some folks may find it aesthetically pleasing? Cuz other than that, I am missing it.

Well, visually, persona has no divider lien of any consequence between posts, putting the timeline kind of helps to do the same thing, as it visually link down to each avatar with the bonus of time progression updates.

So it acts like a margin but is also functionally tracking the time lapse of a thread and soaping it at key points. I am not totally against it, thus I'd like to experiment with styling it. 🙂

I think that's all it's doing. I think. I am open to correction! 😊

• GNU/Linux Admin

@gotwf persona default used to come with a dividing line between posts. I considered it too harsh from an aesthetic point of view, and I implemented the timeline style on the left, removing the horizontal rule between posts, and slightly increasing the spacing between posts.

I recognize these design changes may not be appreciated by all, but that's the beauty of NodeBB, that you can change it as you please 😁

Also, yes, the meat of the timeline style CSS is in mixins.less

• GNU/Linux Admin

As the timeline style is now live, this topic has been moved to General Discussion.

• Community Rep

@julian said in Timeline-style topic listing:

@gotwf persona default used to come with a dividing line between posts. I considered it too harsh from an aesthetic point of view, and I implemented the timeline style on the left, removing the horizontal rule between posts, and slightly increasing the spacing between posts.

I recognize these design changes may not be appreciated by all, but that's the beauty of NodeBB, that you can change it as you please 😁

Also, yes, the meat of the timeline style CSS is in mixins.less

Heh, that thin gray horizontal was so thin and such perfect gray that I pretty much don't notice it - unless I am looking for it.

d24a6bed-e573-42b5-88c6-ea8867861d3e-image.png

Could totally live w/o it but still not a fan of the blue timeline for readability concerns enumerated up post. And yep, different folks will have different aesthetics. It's your baby, mon! And you've done a great job of nurturing it thus far. I can deal w/it. 😜

@julian said in Timeline-style topic listing:

As the timeline style is now live, this topic has been moved to General Discussion.

!Aye, caramba!! /me prepares to don flame retardant suit! 🏃 🔥

Suggested Topics

| |