• GNU/Linux Admin

The style changes from https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-theme-persona/pull/512 have been pushed here 😬

Thoughts?

• GNU/Linux Admin

Immediately, I am seeing that there needs to be a little more white space between posts. A little white space never hurt anyone 🙂

Edit: This is now done.

• Community Rep

Is this what I think it is... about to click! 🐣

• Community Rep

👓

• Community Rep

As I was saying 👁

• Community Rep

I like the look of the preview.

Timeline in terms of forum topics, has always interested and fascinated me -

• What I have noticed on some forums is the collective sharing of events and news around a singular topic can last a long time, creating monster topics, wouldn't it be cool if there was a timeline wiki of a short to help navigate it?

In this, a horizontally presented timelines adjunct to the topic, would be cool, somewhere, that has highlights included and possibly historically annotated by users (the time line scroll is the only thing I like about the Discourse side bar, being able to slide through whole months, and years of time is actually cool at times...)

It was a concept I theme'd "continuum media", forget your social media.

Continuum media is where the elephants get their news, and they never forget, now could we make that more visually accessible in terms with timeline high notes, when a topic coudl be a running for a decade or more!

This is very opposite of the push for instiable recency @julian spoke about in that interview a while back, history, is important and it is amazing to see it logged by a small or super huge collective of dedicated posters.

Navigating a thread after it's been hot for 10+ years is no mean feat!

Of course it was the absence of social-media big tech platform-aggeden that allowed such topic to grow on forums, now it is not as typical due to the stealing of traffic (and a generation!) but there are threads on some forums that can still span years in recent times and maybe if 2020 is anything to go by, maybe that is set to change.

There are a lot of cool things a forum can do to take back what social media has obliterated. NodeBB is at the vanguard here of trying to reclaim a lost decade IMHO of forum development.

Personally, this is how I view the info war, we need new and improved tanks, missiles, helicopters and jets to launch from the Carrier class platform! 👮 👮 👮 👮

Enough for one night, but I had to get that one out.

Time is a fascinating construct after all. 😉

• Community Rep

There is one downside of this timeline presentation, not unique to nodeBB or a critique of this timeline topic styling, merely an affectation of perception.

If a topic has been stagnant for a long time and a new post appears with something like 7 Years Later... it can look poor as we say.

• GNU/Linux Admin

@omega I actually disagree with that assessment, I find that the notice that a certain post comes many months or years after the previous response quite helpful.

It definitely gives you context to the discussion, and definitely has helped me realize that a new reply to a topic is superfluous, as a discussion was already over 6 or 7 years ago 🙀

• GNU/Linux Admin

@omega Re: your screenshot... I think CloudFlare is doing some caching of the CSS there 😄 Perhaps it will clear soon...

In fact, I am on my HTPC, and I can't see the new styling at all 😢

• Community Rep

@julian said in Timeline-style topic listing:

@omega I actually disagree with that assessment, I find that the notice that a certain post comes many months or years after the previous response quite helpful.

It definitely gives you context to the discussion, and definitely has helped me realize that a new reply to a topic is superfluous, as a discussion was already over 6 or 7 years ago 🙀

I find it useful too as you outline, but I'm referring to potential alternative perceptions and it might be very forum specific.

Basically some Admin might like to turn it off or tone it down.

Did you ever consider running a timeline column, that does not inject itself between posts?

The concept of a "Timeline" is so wide and full of potential it strikes me as maybe being better served as a plugin, with all kinds of cool options. However I am open to correction here if plugin is the right way forward because maybe there would be issues with themes.

A Timeline column running in tandem with flow might be an interesting implementation, as it could also serve as an active new navigation element too! Maybe as a static snap on, this is kind of like stripping out the discourse time line scroll bar and making it stand alone but better by not making it a scroll bar or something right! 😉

Anyway I'm thinking outloud here as I type...

• GNU/Linux Admin

@omega Well, the "x weeks ago" descriptor is already present, that wasn't new. I just merged its design with the timeline style 🙂

So in essence, if you're just noticing it now, then the "necro post" feature, as it is called, is a little too subtle, isn't it 😉

• Community Rep

@julian I don't know what I am noticing anymore! 🤔

I think my discovery of changes and perhaps even more recent styling (do I see some rounded corners and very subtle high-light and tonal trim), is welcome and good.

It's not unlike a theme I customised for discourse once (talk about snow blindness as the default theme out of the box) but never used.

I am preferring the current nodeBB persona tweaks at present the most, the annoying part is I'm on a crappy Dell old dell monitor because my much more expensive Dell monitor picked specifically for it's great colour gamut range, decided to jsut light bleed everywhere, for a long time I wondered why I was weirdly uncomfortable looking at the screen for period of work, until I saw it in screen-rest-mode in a dark room! Like a torch shinning in your face...

So sadly my colour gamut is mush right now, it's incredible how bad it is in comparison.

How do you like your GREY, pinkish or pinker? 😞

• GNU/Linux Admin

@omega It's of course a very subtle change. After all it's basically a left border.

It's interesting though, how something so relatively simple can have an expectedly large effect.

• Community Rep

Happy New Year All You Beautiful People o/

I'll kick it off endeavoring to give something back. My $0.02....

Not necessarily a fan of all the new UI changes and am left to wonder if some/much of this is becoming driven for changes sake. The young guns may posit this is an old dinosaurs' reluctance to adapt. But I think not. Age also begets experience, and, if you're lucky, some minimal wisdom. During which time I have seen more than a few fads come and go. HIG, for example, was "all the rage" with the sycophants who shouted down opposing opinions. We had better things to do with our time than to be berated so just shut up about it and quietly (or in some cases not so quietly, i.e. Linus himself) stopped using Gnome in favor of other DE's such as KDE and Xfce. The only times I used Gnome post 2.x was when the job forced me to. Otherwise I'd just wipe the drive and install my own stuff. As did most others on my teams who'd ever used else.

Lesson learned? The wrong ones: Unfortunately, how to bully your end users into submission. RH holds such huge corporate market share that they can force feed 'chit down the unwilling throats of it's users, i.e. doubling down on systemd. I have security professional buddies working for big company dot com who refuse to update any of their security backend stuff to systemd based distros. Once 6.x ceases being supported their plan is to migrate that stuff off Linux (now that that has come and gone.... I need to touch base and satisfy my curiousity). Now whether you want to debate the merits and lack thereof of systemd is NOT the point. The real point is the HUGE EXODUS to non Linux platforms such as FreeBSD.

NodeBB does not have RH's clout and should be wary of sliding into such thinking. Not that y'all are, but, ya' know, it's kind of like a virus. May start out no big deal. Until, it is.

I should reiterate for those who may have missed it... I no longer use a cell phone. Yeah, I am FREE of the ball & chain! And loving it!! Hence my perspective targets the workstation view screen.

And it seems to me that this experience is beginning to slide to somewhat of a "red headed step child" status. Not everyone uses mobile for everything. Indeed, I wonder if admin and dev types are using such for getting any real work done? Taken to ridiculous conclusion we'd end up using workstations for management and swapping back to mobile for end user browsing. I shudder to contemplate being so crippled.

Blah, blah, blah... I am keyboarding challenged and the above took way too long to peck out. But my dog's biological clocks got me up early so... Geronimo, there ya' go. Big medicine? Or not.

P.S.; It is not just aesthetics I'm talking here. Also feels like some are a step back usability wise. My forums are on 12.2. I have been spending some time here to get beyond "initial impressions" and, alas, some of it is just not growing on me. Mostly minor niggles but gut feeling is that, in the quest for feature matching and popularity NodeBB may be loosing its way a bit. Of course, corp client marketroid types may well disagree. And I get that y'all need to eat. ✌

Update: For example:

6add08ae-b311-4fc1-8968-f7882a50cf59-image.png

The thin blue vertical line connecting users is distracting. Pulls my eye too far left so I "over shoot" and have to then readjust right to where the REAL text that I actually want to read begins. This is a step backwards in usability. Especially when nested quotes are involved, as evidenced in the screenshot above.

Want more? Julian has my number. Feel free to conference me in.

• Plugin & Theme Dev Community Rep

My only issue with the left border is how it interacts - or rather how it doesn't interact - with the reply info under post.
    Especially with the lack of horizontal lines between the posts and increased (I think) whitespace, the reply info seems to be floating between posts instead of actually being attached the post it's for. The effect is bigger for short posts, but it's doesn't disappear completely for longer ones.

However, I don't really have a solution for this now, as it seems simply integrating it with the timeline like the time information is integrated would make this problem worse...

• Community Rep

@oplik0 said in Timeline-style topic listing:

My only issue with the left border is how it interacts - or rather how it doesn't interact - with the reply info under post.
    Especially with the lack of horizontal lines between the posts and increased (I think) whitespace, the reply info seems to be floating between posts instead of actually being attached the post it's for. The effect is bigger for short posts, but it's doesn't disappear completely for longer ones.

+1

However, I don't really have a solution for this now, as it seems simply integrating it with the timeline like the time information is integrated would make this problem worse...

This was meant to be but one example. I know folks worked hard at this and reluctant to critique their hard work, especially when I do not contribute code to the solution. Just getting a little voice whispering that, while none of these are deal breakers, cumulative effect is beginning to feel misguided??

My $0.02. Maybe not even worth that much. That said, I am a life long learner and picked up a few things along the way. Your mileage may vary. ✌

• GNU/Linux Admin

@oplik0 good point, right now each post has double the padding to make up for the removed border between posts. It seems you are right, the additional spacing still applies to expanded direct replies of the posts, so maybe this can be adjusted on our end 🙂

• Community Rep

Speaking of timelines... Check this forum out:

297d9e8b-b02a-4ff8-a420-124fa5db3f6f-image.png

Of course one may argue it wastes much real estate... but... that said... Kind of cool and I don't think I've seen that before.

But then I don't get out and about as much as I used to... 😜

Meh... never mind... It is Discourse. Which I have not looked at since NodeBB romanced me. Do not recall this. Must be some new fangled thang....

In any event, hovering to find when/date something was posted now takes extra effort. Why the mouse over? I don't see the 12.2 scheme as distracting. If any, much less distracting.

Rock on! 🎸 🐧

• GNU/Linux Admin

@gotwf all in the name of whitespace... Which may not be everyone's cup of tea. Open to dissenting opinions

• Community Rep

@julian I appreciate white space. Really. Just take a look at my forums. 😉

So, if my perception is correct all that is gained is some horizontal whitespace. Which does not really help out much on ascents and decents, but maybe some on traverses?

For me, when I look at a previously unviewed thread the first things I want to know:

1. Topic/Subject - am I interested?
    2. Date - is this stale? years old? or recent and hence possibly more relevant.

These two are easily grokked from category, recent, etc. views. Once into the thread, I want to add whom and when to the individual posts I read. Is this some joker or someone "respectable" w/in the community and how fresh is their comment? Both used to be easily gleaned w/minimal, if any eye movement. Alas, w/current theme scheme if I want to know date of a particular post:

1. Remove right hand from home row to the rodent.
    2. Move my eyes to find rodent's cursor position - wh/could be anywhere w/using multiple monitors.
    3. Move the rodent's cursor to hover position.
    4. Reposition right hand on home row.

I should mention /me views reaching for the rodent as a "cache miss". So much less efficient than driving via keyboard, no?

Perhaps even more importantly, my attention and focus has also now been disrupted.

My two cents worth.... Thanks for the consideration. ✌

P.S.; For the young guns who may be unfamiliar, Neal Stephenson's essay In the Beginning was the Command Line is an interesting read. And a stroll thru history.

Suggested Topics

| |