Cool and for context a link to the upgrade doc section - https://docs.nodebb.org/configuring/upgrade/
What do the various dashboard analytics stats mean?
Probably a dumb question....but I can't find a definitive answer. What exactly do the number in the analytics actually represent?
Page Views Registered
Page Views Guest
Page Views Bot
But what exactly is being represented by each category? I thought I understood them but maybe someone can explain for me.
I'm assuming you're referring to the chart in the main admin control panel?
The two main analytics tracked are pageviews and unique visitors.
- Page views are fairly self-explanatory, one page load or transition to a new page counts as a new page view.
- Unique visitors is based on the IP address, and so every time a new IP address shows up in that hour, the count is incremented by one. We also track unique visitors on a daily, weekly, monthly, and all-time basis, for the numbers here:
- The "registered", "guest", and "bot" variants for pageviews increment alongside each pageview, but depending on whether the user is logged in (or not), or whether that request came from a bot.
- "registered" and "guest" should add up to the total pageviews, since you're either registered or not.
- "bots" are usually also guests, but we use some basic logic to detect whether they're a bot or not (probably user-agent string)
- For a variety of reasons, the "bot" count is not always predictable, since some bots are rather obscure, or fudge their user-agent strings, so take this number with a grain of salt.
I hope that answers your questions, let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.