Skip to content

General Discussion

A place to talk about whatever you want

3.8k Topics 23.2k Posts
  • 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    4k Views
    aixnrA

@Technowix saw that before. NodeBB already broke through few stuffs, for example, multi-cpu support (because by default, NodeJS is single-thread, hence it works best on single core CPU setup). Maybe we have to wait a bit more for combo DB engine setup. Maybe @psychobunny has a say on this?

• Unable to use Draft Widgets

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    G

@a_5mith Thanks. Installed but still no drag and drop widgets. How can I help investigate this further? It it a CSS problem or javascript?

• 5 Votes
    18 Posts
    9k Views
    A

The imported Canadian rug of dreams. - $4000 - Buy Now

• probleam about stylesheet.css.

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

@song19891121 Have you tried using a Mirror CDN?

e.g. Add this to the custom header block in the ACP:

<link href='http://fonts.useso.com/css?family=Open+Sans:300,400,600&subset=latin,latin-ext' rel='stylesheet'>

Edit: You'd probably still get the error nonetheless, but at least the fonts will work? So maybe use this in conjunction with @a_5mith's suggestion.

• Modules should be Nodules

1 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    A

slow clap

• Host Transfer?

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    A

@Scuzz I try and avoid politics whenever possible. I've seen far too many arguments regarding one parties policies over the other. I do agree that the NHS shouldn't be privatised however. It will turn into the American Healthcare system if that were to happen. Although interestingly enough a friend of mine lives in Australia and got a job workin the G20 summit last week. Shared the lift with a couple of prime ministers, including our own David Cameron.

• Upload images without imgur plugin?

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    C

When the imgur plugin is enabled, you can upload images just fine. When it isn't - image uploading is disabled.

Is that intended? I enabled file uploads and file uploads works fine, icon shows up, etc.

• Not able to install the local mailer

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    T

I have version 0.5.4 of nodebb.
    Recently, I also installed a few themes. Can this be an incompatibility issue? Any way to fix this?

I am answering to my question. It looks like the issue came from a theme I installed previously. It works fine after I do the following:

npm uninstall nodebb-theme-cerulean
  • 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    T

@psychobunny Thanks a lot for the info. I will take a look.

• tox - IM and VoIP

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    frissdiegurkeF

Hey guys, I've just discovered a new Instant Messaging, VoIP, etc. protocol named tox.

Since I'm really impressed and it works without problems so far (besides the GUI-clients don't provide all needed functionality yet) I just wanted to announce it and ask what you think about it.

maybe some day a tox-plugin will make it into NodeBB πŸ˜„

I'll now compare the differences between the desktop clients I've tested on arch linux: toxic, qTox, uTox (ΞΌTox)

toxic: CLI, so it has the greatest nerd-factor πŸ™‚ but lacks in functionality of video-streaming
    qTox and uTox look nearly the same, so here a few differences that matter in functionality, etc.:
    uTox:

+ screen-sharing functionality (worked on local testings quite well) + sound-/video-check - no support for encrypted profile-files

qTox:

+ tray-icon + emoticons + profile-images + auto-away + multi-profile (profile-export, etc.) + webcam-filter (hue, brightness, resolution, etc.) - qt5-dependencies :*( (wait, why does :* map to the tongue emoji, I'll need to check this...)

So I clearly recommend qTox, the only important lack is screen-sharing but one of the devs told me it's planned...

If you have further questions you may use the #tox IRC-channel on freenode πŸ˜‰

• Let's Encrypt

4 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    meetdilipM

Thanks @a_5mith

• NodeBB crashes after changing theme

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    Sobo85S

ah okay... how does it come that this version is installed?... anyway, is there a way to check, which version is used by nodebb by myself?

• Migrating from SMF

0 Votes
    28 Posts
    9k Views
    B

@19eighties said:

One thing I started looking into, was the importer plugin. I have it currently installed, when I run it, it looks like there is a pull-down for selecting which import to run, however, it does not populate with any options (FYI). Can I write the git address for the SMF plugin below?

Sometimes npm api does not return anything πŸ˜• to populate the list, will fix this soon - for now, you can just write nodebb-plugin-import-smf which will install the latest from the npm registry, if you want a specific fork or version, you can use the full git url, i.e. git://github.com/a5mith/nodebb-plugin-import-smf#master, basically any valid repository url

Also, if you install it once, or if you decide to manually clone it into the node_modules and you do not want the import plugin to touch it or try to install it again, there is an option "Skip Module Install" which you can check to skip the install process, but you still have to leave the name of the module in the input field, i.e. nodebb-plugin-import-smf

• 1 Votes
    13 Posts
    3k Views
    A

@baris Interesting, will disable the youtube plugin, see if that solves it.

EDIT: Yep, youtube plugin caused it. πŸ˜† Will need to work out why that's no longer working then. πŸ‘ Well spotted.

2nd EDIT: There was a random h at the end of the plugin. Embarrassing. πŸ˜†

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    barisB

Best way would be to write a plugin that listens for the hook action:user.create. This hook receives the userData and is fired whenever a new user is created.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    A

@arasbm said:

But perhaps I should add a not in the sign up agreement that "by signing up you agree to receive emails from us" or something like that, to be safe.

If you're in the EU, this wouldn't constitute as opt-in. The EU states that a user must specifically click a button that states "I want to receive these emails". Unless it's regarding their account. So, if the daily digest included notifications, it would be fine, but if it was just new topics, I'm not so sure. It should be fine either way, as you've said.

• 3 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    R

@a_5mith - thanks! yes the front page logo is in the works and should be updated shortly.

@julian - thanks! yes the official way should always be a native install, using LXC or Docker makes it simpler and faster to launch, and provides added flexibility in deployment, but there should be some understanding of how the components work together which a native install, which can be also be done in an LXC container like we do, gives users. We are definitely going to look at how we can integrate github into our current build process.

LXC has been baking since 2009, was merged into the kernel around 2.6.32 and has been mainly developed by a team led by Daniel Lezcano, Serge Halyn and Stephane Graber. Its an Ubuntu supported project since 2012. Serge and Stephane work for Ubuntu. LXC provides container management tools and container OS templates. Here is a video walk through of LXC

Docker was based on the LXC project untill 0.9 when it switched to its own engine libcontainer, though users can still choose LXC as the underlying container engine.

Docker containers and LXC containers are a bit different. Docker uses containers to build an app delivery platform and abstracts the container away to an app, while LXC gives you a full Linux environment like a lightweight VM, with some caveats.

However due to the low profile of the LXC project, a lot of users first introduction to containers may have been Docker, and there are some misconceptions and a lot of users will be surprised by the flexibility and usability of LXC without the constraints of Docker.

• Login problems after setup nodebb

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    julianJ

@baris said:

You can still use bcrpytjs on raspbian but you would need to lower the bcrpyt_rounds setting from the default 12.

Yeah, either lower the rounds, or if you don't mind compiling it (npm does it automatically), use bcrypt instead.

• What Ignore button?

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    4k Views
    A

@Baerrus It shouldn't, because following a topic will notify you of a new post in that topic, but that topic won't appear in Unread. They're two different features. Unless there's a specific check in NodeBB that I'm not aware of. πŸ‘ Wouldn't be too difficult for me to test if you need a definitive answer.

• After 6+ Years

0 Votes
    35 Posts
    15k Views
    A

@julian you'd hope that would be the end of rubbish like tapatalk, but people still want it. πŸ˜•