General Discussion

A place to talk about whatever you want

3.8k Topics 23.2k Posts
  • Has anyone seen medium.com?

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

I personally don't browse Medium. I indirectly use a third-party to stumble upon "good" articles when they show up on Reddit.

The design is reminiscent of Majestic... or should I say, the other way around 😉

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    R

@kevin Thx a LOT!!!! 😃

• So when's the next release?

2 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    kinderjajeK

@julian said:

We want to get some more breaking changes in for v0.5.0... but soon after, we'll release. I know you guys are itching to get your hands on it 😆

Can you give us some info about upcoming changes 🙂

• MOTD section with Lavender?

1 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    C

Am I blind or is there no way to just have an MOTD widget for Lavender?

I essentially just want to use the shoutbox plugin at the top of the category listing page but don't see a widget area for MOTD anymore. Is that only with Vanilla?

• 1 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    barisB

Looks like its time for GoBB 😆

• Last Position Popup

1 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    L

Seems to be the way it works for me too. I also think it needs to be styled up some more, maybe with a down arrow symbol and have it just say "return to last position" or "return to first unread post" in a slightly bigger font.

• What happened to geolocation?

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    G

@psychobunny why not? 🙂

• question about staticDirs

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

That should be how it works right now. The staticDirs property maps an alias (the object key) to the actual system path.

For example:

staticDirs: { "foo": "bar" }

... will map the route 127.0.0.1:4567/plugins/nodebb-theme-myplugin/foo to /path/to/nodebb/node_modules/nodebb-theme-myplugin/bar

I believe I used express.static to route the directory, so any files added in after NodeBB has started should still be routed, since the parent directory was the one that was mounted.

• Anyone else on AMS2 through digital ocean?

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

@Giorgio-Chiodi, our upstream provider is Digital Ocean also, so we'd go through the same issues you'd experience, only you wouldn't have to deal with them, we would 😄

• NodeBB Dies

1 Votes
    21 Posts
    7k Views
    markkusM

I activated swap, hope this will do the trick.

• How would you invoke tooltips?

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    frissdiegurkeF

@trevor Ah, haven't worked with dynamic contents in CSS yet. What I didn't know was that the content CSS-attribute accepts sth like attr(myattribute).
    pretty neat for some use-cases like the tooltips 🙂

Maybe my english isn't good enough but I don't understand your original question then.
    Do you want to know how we do tooltips on our web-projects?
    Do you need ideas to style the :before pseudo-element in a neat way?
    What do you mean with system and title? Do you mean the title-attribute and their native browser-supported tooltips?

• Gallery connection?

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    A

Hey buddy, former SMF user myself. I built a converter to export your posts from SMF, you can find it here, it's not a one step process, but it works.

There's currently no gallery plugin though at the minute.

• Cannot start nodeBB in Centos

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    O

Hi all, I installed nodeBB on CentOS 6.5 following this guide. Unfortunately when I start nodeBB it is not accessible via browser. It seems nodebb tries to start and then stops. I noticed that when I check the log with ./nodebb log I see some errors, particularly an "ENOTFOUND" error.

Anyone have any clues to the cause of the problem?

Thanks!

info: NodeBB attempting to listen on: http://10.90.0.110:4567
    info: [meta/css] Done.
    Error: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND
    at errnoException (dns.js:37:11)
    at Object.onanswer [as oncomplete] (dns.js:124:16)
    info: [app] Shutdown (SIGTERM/SIGINT) Initialised.
    info: [app] Database connection closed.
    info: [app] Shutdown complete.

[loader] Experienced three start attempts in 10 seconds, most likely an error on startup. Halting.

• Need help installing NodeBB on CentOS

0 Votes
    36 Posts
    19k Views
    H

Yeah, I am at a loss at this point. When you run the repolist command I am not seeing it show the EPEL repository, yet when you try to install it it says you already have it.

This isn't really a NodeBB problem though, so we can't really blame the NodeBB script for it. It's almost like Yum itself is messed up. You might be able to get extra help from the CentOS community though, or if someone else here is more of a CentOS expert?

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    MdghruutM

I'm trying to create a user via php to be recognized by nodebb authentication form. I do this via predis, so I can talk to redis via php.
    This is the relevant part of the code that creates a user in redisdb for nodebb in php: http://pastebin.com/GZWFvuWc

But sadly, when I tried to login with such created account via php it didn't work and said "User does not exists".
    I checked all 'legit' userdata with my userdata created by php and I can't detect any flaws

This is what I told php to create in redis, it's all verified and there:

populate 'user:#' with 22 key's where # is uid populate 'email:uid' with user email and uid populate 'group:registered-users:members' with uid populate 'users:joindate' with 0 and uid populate 'users:joindate' with 0 and uid populate 'users:postcount' with 0 and uid populate 'reputation' with 0 and uid populate 'username:uid' with username and uid populate 'userslug:uid' with userslug and uid

What am I missing :C??? I checked redis and the data is all their, but nodebb says the user does not exists

EDIT: I checked the users tab in admin and saw that the username is there that was created from php. After I press the save button on the profile edit page of that profile, that account can then login! how strange. I'm going to do more digging until someone knows what i'm missing here.

EDIT 2: I forgot slugifying userslug:uid in redis. Finally fix it 🙂

• Digital Ocean Droplet

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    L

I would go with 64-bit in case you need to resize your droplet for more RAM in the future, if your NodeBB forum gets super popular. It's not really hurting anything to go with 64-bit anyway.

• Parsing iFrames in Latest Posts

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    A

@baris Yeah I think most of the plugins are relatively responsive now by default, either that, or just parse the original link instead.

• Email Notification Support

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    7k Views
    S

@julian said:

That's a shame, really, because Outlook (and Outlook Express) was just so terrible at managing email. I got my parents switched off of that years ago though, so haven't looked at Thunderbird since.

These days nearly everyone uses web mail. Whether it is Zimbra or OWA, the quality of webmail has gotten so good that rarely do you want to do anything else except on your mobile devices. And if you want to go offline, Exchange uses to expect to go to Outlook and Zimbra has its own client too. The number of "working offline on non-mobile devices IMAP users" are dwindling. Thunderbird and Evolution cover that gap pretty well.

• Some quick questions on plugin development

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ
    var meta = module.parent.require('./meta');. Then, meta.config may have the configuration (might need to double-check that). var nconf = module.parent.require('nconf'); will allow you to hook into the configuration utility we use: nconf.get('url') returns the full url. Unfortunately not -- our hooks are designed to keep the information passed in to a minimum. The posts.parse hook is called whenever a piece of content needs to be "parsed like a post". It is not strictly a hook that is called whenever a topic is loaded. Perhaps you can look into filter:post.getPosts?
  • 4 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    T

@julian Thanks for the response 🙂