General Discussion

A place to talk about whatever you want

3.8k Topics 23.1k Posts
  • 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    P

@julian

That was an easy fix. It's better than reinstalling. Onwards with more testing. Thank you!

• npm install error messages

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    10k Views
    P

@julian your explanation eases my concerns. Would be nice to see none at all but at least we know it's not critical to the operation of nodebb for production. Thank you!!

• German Installation on Vserver

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    EisFreiE

@Florian hast du den nodebb prozess am laufen?

./nodebb setup ./nodebb start

nodebb arbeitet übrigens nicht mit port 80, sondern 4567

du müsstest also hier schauen ob es läuft: http://62.141.39.60:4567

• PHP is terrible

1 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    O

I feel you brother. Don't know much about Java, except to stay away from it. I know some PH though, just enough to realize that it has had it's day. It is time to move on.

I kind of feel bad about PHP. I like it, in a nostalgic sort of way. I'm big on sentimentalism. I have a Remington model 5 typewriter around for sentimental reasons; I like it, the way it looks, the twang of keys as I try to write something with it. But I don't *actually *write anything substantial on it of course. Maybe an adress on an envelope or something, maybe once a year.

That is sort of the way I feel about PHP: it was the bomb at one point. But it is becoming increasingly clear that node.js (and perhaps similar technologies) is the way forward. It makes me a little sad, because there is a lot of legacy tech out there, and a LOT to learn for those who just recently mastered PHP. Its like "Hey, I just got here! Do I really have to start *another * marathon right away?"

Huh. I guess I do. I'm sure it will be a nice run, switching everything I know and have learned over the last decade to node and javascript (and angular I guess). But before I get started on that, I would like to just sit here for a bit and enjoy the view before I get started again, if you know what I mean?
    But I guess there's no time for that. I have to keep moving, keep moving... And in half a decade or so, when I have finally masted that node beast, when all the node.js things like this here forum software will have integers instead of floats as stable version numbers, something completely new and infinitely better will come along.... it will never end.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    xiaoxinX

Install nodebb on windows,and can't get scripts via "scripts" config in plugin.json.
    the link like this"http://mysite.forum/node-modules/nodebb-plugin-markdown/public/js/client.js"
    dose anyone run into this?

• Using NodeBB as mailgroup

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    C

I'm starting using NodeBB. It works great till so far.
    The most important functionality of my site is email notification. The only way I know to do this is asking everyone to watch a thread. But this is not straight forward.
    What I want is some utilities that can send emails to all the users in a group. Is it possible with current version?

P.S. I think notification to all users when new post in a certain category suffices.

• Customsize the ui of the sso entrance

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    xiaoxinX

@julian hmm,that's sounds great!😄

• Nodebb not accessible from LAN

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    C

@Chong Hey I got it solved.

I changed the port to 4568 instead of 12001 and everything works well. It seems Ubuntu deals with these ports differently.

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    julianJ

@pitaj check out the templates.js repository 😄 that is the templating engine we use.

• SSL Question.

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

Me neither. Typical SSL key allows two parties to share information, the client and the server. Cloudflare's Universal SSL ups that to three, with CF acting as the middleman.

• Forum Updated Message

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    P

@Hưng-Thành-Nguyễn said:

@peter for more details, when you restart/reload the forum in the ACP or in CLI, it will ask you to refresh the page to apply the changes such as templates... NodeBB is non-reloading template system, everything is loaded when you first load the forum. It just reload the data when you click the links or have a new data push to it then it render with preload templates.

Thanks for the details!

@julian said:

@peter If you are seeing that message and you are not doing anything related to restarting or reloading, your NodeBB is crashing repeatedly and automatically bringing itself back to life.

Run ./nodebb log and show us if there are any errors logged 🙂

I saw it here on nodebb.org when I first signed up and was browsing around. Didn't understand it so that led me to post the topic. Noted your tip. Thanks!

• I just featured NodeBB on my blog

4 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

I'm sure @psychobunny would love that. It was his idea entirely 😄

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • nodebb setup redis npm warn

1 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    P

@Hưng-Thành-Nguyễn Will ignore. Thank you for confirming!

• can'f find local sound files

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    xiaoxinX

@Scuzz Yeah,it is the path cause the problem ,hmm i move the sounds folder to the path in windows now.Thanks.😃

• nginx as proxy with wordpress

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    P

@a_5mith I have it setup on a new DO droplet using the server IP (no domain yet) for both server_name and the base_url - basically replacing localhost referenced in my previous post. Hope that makes sense.

for example:
    "base_url": "http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx",
    server_name xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;

working url via http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4567/forum
    404 not found for http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/forum

Appreciate all you help.

• Show newest topics for nodeBB in my site

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    xiaoxinX

@a_5mith thank u very much,it helps lot😀

• Is imgur slow for anyone else?

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

Ugh, Deep Packet Inspection is awful. Over here, I use MLPPP to get around it.

• Redis Cluster in Redis 3.0

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

Oh boy... a lot of that is beyond me, but I'm glad Redis is introducing clustering 😄

• GitHub Student Developer Pack

3 Votes
    13 Posts
    4k Views
    ?

Oh this is lovely. Excellent share.