Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts. ย When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTubeย Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• nodebb plugins upgrade problem

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    L
    I'm updating any plug-in. I'm throwing reset the system. Then I get a 502 error. Log as follows. Upgrade learn everything by going into the past.

[cluster] Child Process (14718) has exited (code: 0, signal: null)

24/8 12:32 [25466] - info: Time: Mon Aug 24 2015 12:32:01 GMT-0400 (EDT)

24/8 12:32 [25466] - info: Initializing NodeBB v0.7.3

Warning: Redis server does not require a password, but a password was supplied.

[outdated] nodebb-plugin-composer-default v1.0.11, requires 1.0.9

24/8 12:32 [25466] - warn: One or more of NodeBB's dependent packages are out-of-date. Please run the following command to update them:

24/8 12:32 [25466] - warn: ./nodebb upgrade

[cluster] Child Process (25466) has exited (code: 0, signal: null)

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    J

@psychobunny Ah right! Ok, just sent a pull request. Thanks!

• Way to selectively apply theme by category?

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    jareyJ

@jongarrison you have another example on nodebb-plugin-custom-header. But in this case is managed by a plugin too. I don't know if it is possible to applu different theme (tpl). You could also managed it in the same tpl with a little bit of logic in it based in certain configuration server side.

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    yariplusY

Yes, that should work i think.

• How to change the group header image?

Solved
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    6k Views
    KowlinK

@psychobunny Haha, good to know. This shall do the trick
    https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/3469

• Search looks for the phrase only in English

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    P

We use the nodebb-plugin-solr search plugin here ๐Ÿ™‚

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    A

Yeah I'm running the latest stable. 0.7.3 a back-port would be great ๐Ÿ™‚

'Which blows up your forum if they entered the registration queue'

Well said! ๐Ÿ˜„

• Link to post a thread

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    barisB

This is the css in persona that handles that. It's in topic.less

&.highlight > hr { border-color: darken(@brand-info, 20%); box-shadow: 0px 0px 1px @brand-info; }
  • Trouble updating from 0.7.2 to 0.7.3

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    PilvinenP

@julian but the point is that I haven't modified any of those files. Most of the files were text files like for example: README.md, LICENSE, etc.

Why would I modify any of those?

I have:

Installed Nodebb Installed plugins Tweaked settings in admin control panel Tried to update to 0.7.3 -> got errors

Actually I got help from Nodebbs IRC- channel on how to resolve these errors with git and I'm now running 0.7.3. but it was not easy, I've no experience with git and no idea why I have to deal with stuff like this when updating.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    4k Views
    H

@baris Cool, didn't know that settings section existed! ๐Ÿ™‚

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    B

Yes replacing is an option, but did you know that when you replace it the avatar the actual file it self doesn't, the previous image stays in the image folder. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

Thanks @julianlam

• Image upload permissions

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    C

Hey! Im currently using imgur plugin for image uploads.

Is there any way to set it up so that only admins are able to upload images? (The solution doesn't necessarily need to be using imgur plugin)

• Is it possible to override templates?

Solved
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    H

@julian Got ya. Thanks for the heads up

• The admin panel upgrade message is wrong

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

Err... that's quite weird. It should not overwrite NodeBB's package.json...

• Anyone else notice the groups page is looking strange?

Solved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

oh dear ๐Ÿ˜†

• Moving the forum to another server

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

Make sure you stop the redis server before you overwrite the database dump. Otherwise, when you restart, it'll just overwrite your new db with the old db in memory!

• How to upgrade my nodebb?

Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    A

Thanks ๐Ÿ˜…

• Persona Issue with Windows Phones

Moved
    2 Votes
    10 Posts
    5k Views
    julianJ

Just a quick update, @psychobunny ended up taking the lessons he learned writing the sidebar in Persona, and wrote another one for our new marketing site, and just today, spent a bit of back and forth with @Schamper to debug it.

He's planning to backport it to Persona, so... soon! ๐Ÿ˜„

• Feedback on BASH backup script

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

Thanks for the write-up @Guiri, always nice to read about other peoples' implementations.

Has anyone investigated the use of logrotate for rotating backups?

• NodeBB V0.7.3 Broke emailer-mandrill-plugin?

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    barisB

If you removed node_modules then you need to reinstall it using npm i nodebb-plugin-emailer-mandrill.

The reason it doesn't show up in acp plugin list is because of the latest changes to nbbpm. See here for details.