Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Installation errors on Openshift for v0.8.x

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    ahwayakchihA

Hi,

@nhl-pl sent me link to this topic. I've just tested 0.8.x branch: installation and starting up both went smooth and i could login, visit administration panel, etc...

I followed steps described here: https://github.com/ahwayakchih/openshift-nodebb, just changed 0.7.x to 0.8.x in commands.

I tested only Redis installation, no plugins yet or anything more specific yet - just visited page, looked around and logged in.

update: uploading images to topic and as category image works ok too.

Hope it helps :).

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    H

Last update, this issue is closed.

It seems that there is an issue when I was trying to use the terminal built into the ajenti panel. I was using ajenti to try and make my life easier when I am not at home, but that turned out to be a bad idea. Anyway, everything works just fine when I ssh into my server using bitvise.

• Need HELP!!!

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    A

You've not actually explained your issue. Please provide more detail.

• Invalid CSRF token & "Failed login attempt" errors

Solved
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    amarinelliA

Thanks @psychobunny, posted new topic here.

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    P

I think you're right when you say probably not many people use it. Best bet - submit an issue to them and ask why it doesn't work, if they can give us a clue as to what we should do I'll be more than happy to give it a shot.

Just FYI, I don't do anything magically special on the new ACP. Went for a very clean and basic look so its unfortunate it doesn't work on this browser.

• BOOTBOX.CONFIRM ?

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    2k Views
    P

You can cancel too! 😛

• Updated to 0.8.1

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    tfraleyT

@baris said:

Link Preview Image fix #3515 · NodeBB/nodebb-theme-persona@1af39bb

Persona - A modern and responsive NodeBB theme. Contribute to NodeBB/nodebb-theme-persona development by creating an account on GitHub.

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

Thank you I was able to fix the login / register side but not really sure about the menu, Will wait on an update for the theme

Thanks

• 1 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    P

Link Preview Image Configure page title layout in ACP · Issue #3547 · NodeBB/NodeBB

Would look something like this: {title} | {sitename}

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

• Avatars: Allow users to upload profile images

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    tfraleyT

@baris thank you,

But when I refresh the page it still shows it off. So it's safe to consider it to still be on?

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    J

Woah! All three founders in one thread!

Yes, @psychobunny I just meant a simple way to indicate that no logo should be used in the normal site. Editing the templates would be an option, but it seems like it is a missing feature.

Thanks for the responsiveness! You guys are awesome.

• plugin.json doesn't want to load

Moved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    barisB

Post your plugin.json maybe it has a syntax error. Also did you put your theme in node_modules and activate it from the ACP?

• Disabling Reply

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

Yes, a locked topic does not stop users from upvoting/favouriting the post.

• How to customise the maintenance page?

Solved
    0 Votes
    24 Posts
    10k Views
    H

@psychobunny said:

BTW, this has been available the whole time at https://community.nodebb.org/502.html

😉

I'd love to say that's where my screenshot came from but spending the day spamming F5 is closer to the mark 😩

Thanks for the Gist. Those animations... 👏

• Using custom templates

Moved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

Yessir 😉

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    T

Aargh - i just forgot to mark " Allow HTTP traffic " at console. Works just fine 😆

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    Charly86C

@prog Hi there,
    Sorry I did not updated this post and crossed my fingers too quickly, it worked fine until expiration of my token (not sure ??)
    I opened a new topic https://community.nodebb.org/topic/6397/need-guru-s-help-unable-to-log-on-fresh-0-8-0-even-with-local-admin because I' could not log in anymore on my forum (even with local admin),
    Any ideas would save my live 😉

• Clear cache after 0.8.0 upgrade & can NOT login

0 Votes
    14 Posts
    5k Views
    Charly86C

Hi there,
    Sorry I did not updated this post, but it worked fine until expiration of my token (not sure ??)
    I openned a new topic https://community.nodebb.org/topic/6397/need-guru-s-help-unable-to-log-on-fresh-0-8-0-even-with-local-admin because I' could not log in anymore on my forum,
    Any ideas would save me 😉

• 1 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    barisB

This is pushed to master and persona. Updated on this forum as well.

• Navbar not working properly

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    H

@psychobunny I tested this on both master and 0.8.x and can confirm it's working on master but not on 0.8.x.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    drewD

I use a slightly modified version of lavender for my site, and up until now that's been quite a headache.

I've had to maintain an entire theme which is just a fork of lavender and constantly merge in changes just so I can have one template file be slightly different.

I was wondering if this is now something I can resolve with the baseTheme parameter?

If MyTheme has a baseTheme of nodebb-theme-lavender, which in turn has a baseTheme of nodebb-theme-vanilla does that mean that I can change my repo to just be the one altered file?

I remember in the past I tried inheritance and found it didn't work.