Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    597 Posts
    phenomlabP

@frontendjulien Always happy to help.

• 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Copy from Redis to MongoDB

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

😆 That's the real deal, they use better chocolate over there too.

• nodebb-plugin-rss errors

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    X

@baris Yes thank you. Now works.

• Skins neglect?

Moved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    BriB

Ah looks like someone's just reported it! https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-theme-persona/issues/156

• Guest can not see "Image"

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

Possibly related to this admin option:

Selection_057.png

• Install Nodebb and Ghost Blog

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    A

@tuanphongtruong https://community.nodebb.org/topic/4667/ghost-nodebb-nginx-config-example-needed/26

• daily cron backup -- what all to backup?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    K

Wow! Thank you for the super-fast response. Will report on my adventures with the backup once I'm done.

• nodebb-plugin-sso-facebook - question

0 Votes
    13 Posts
    5k Views
    tfraleyT

The recent Facebook and Twitter update fixed this issue for me now all three login buttons are showing.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    M

Thank you so much!

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    M

@Xiph Thank you so much for the reply!

We're not actually pulling images from Docker Hub, as the default image out there seems to just pull an 0.5 branch. We're actually building the image from source using the Dockerfile that is included.

The info you included will be super helpful in getting this going the way we want. We will not be posting these images publicly, for the exact reasons you mentioned above (i.e. secret).

I'll probably be back with more questions though. 😃

• How about update fontawesome?

4 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    A

Agreed. 👍

• Required markup

Moved
    1 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    H

@julian how about running one huge find and replace job? Wait... on second thoughts maybe not ha

• List of templates available

Moved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

Also /src/views/, for ACP templates

• How to disable the update teaser?

0 Votes
    13 Posts
    4k Views
    X

@baris Oh, it really works.
    Thanks a lot for the help!

• Question about NodeBB Pricing

0 Votes
    14 Posts
    4k Views
    JenklerJ

Cool 😉

I only got one, but that is better than nothing right 😛

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    apilorussoA

Very odd! I accessed the forum from my work computer and I can see it. Although I noticed when I tried on mobile the "Nav Tree" disappears behind the header. Maybe its a browser based issue?

• sudo nodebb help

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    C

ok got it working again i re-took ownership of the entire directory again... maybe a i did a sudo git pull by mistake or something silly

opps xd

• Division line at footer

1 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

@drew I'd totally be in favour of the footer being outside of the container... 😄

• Settings → Notifications usage

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    FastidiousF

@a_5mith, thank you. Those two sentences (modified to fit the context) should be added to that screen.

• 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    4k Views
    P

404 Not Found

favicon

(docs.nodebb.org)

There's an edit button on the top right, and making a new page is as easy as just cloning and copying and pasting another guide and editing it

• Strange behavior

1 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    P

NodeBB's cache buster is based on its current git hash (so if you've upgraded it will try to send you the new CSS and JS, which works well, but it remains the same if switching themes, which results in your issue)

I suppose the dev team hasn't run into this because we usually run with cache disabled while testing (and because Persona is so awesome so why switch? Kidding)

Link Preview Image Update cache buster when switching themes · Issue #3573 · NodeBB/NodeBB

Right now cache buster is based on git hash, which works fine when upgrading. Not as good when switching themes or installing plugins. I suggest modifying cache buster algo to just generate a new one every time forum restarts or reloads

favicon

GitHub (github.com)