Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Jquery UI?

Moved Unsolved
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    ShardS

@shard

Okay. I looked at this and it appears to be a bit more complicated than dropping in a new js. 🙂

• How to remove Emoj ?

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    S

Id like to change way emojis suggestions work too. For example if i want to use ":D" in chat i get offered :dagger" (in my instalation). So if i dont want that :dagger: i have to press space to get rid of that suggestion. If i just press ENTER ":D" gets replaced with :dagger:
    Turning off that kid of actions would be nice.

• Opening uploaded images in modal windows

Moved
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    S

Here you go.
    https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/pull/5828
    After i slept on it, i changed position of hook so it works for both "delay loading" turned on and off. Original place was working only for delay loading turned on so it needed one more hook inside "unloadImages" function and i prefer solutions with less code.

• How to stop all cache when develop mode ?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    nam lyN

ya, i tried, but still not change, may be take some time go for changes...

• Restrict width of text area?

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    barisB

You can just add a custom css in the ACP page.

#content { width: 640px; }
  • Post visibility help..

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    E

@pitaj said in Post visibility help..:

Hmmmm...

I wouldn't call this security per-say, but it may be a bug in our handling of user page privileges. Make sure that only that other groups don't have any privileges in that category. If that is already so, then please open an issue on Github.

We have one over-arching group that is kind of like "administrator" but from a forum/moderation point of view. The other individual groups have their own sub-categories. So, for each of the sub categories, the over-arching group is assigned and that one group related to that sub-category is assigned.

I'll throw an issue up. Sound like it might be a bug.

• RSS

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

@alex-bro change url in your config.json, remove :4567 from the end of it.

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    6k Views
    F

Same situation, follow https://docs.nodebb.org/installing/cloud/heroku/ but not works. Also tried https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/5805 and change Procfile to ./nodebb setup && ./nodebb start but not work either.

Any advice?

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    yariplusY

I have experience on AWS, I can probably make a tutorial for Google Cloud this weekend.

• How to edit persona them ?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    yariplusY

You can also make css and js adjustments from the appearance tab in the admin panel. These are never overwritten.

• Access to files in public via absolute URLs

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    T

You could also just make a new location block that points to to .well-known location on your disk.

I have my main forums (https://gamingexodus.com) under /var/www/nodebb/forums, and then have the https://gamingexodus.com/.well-known/stuff under /var/www/.well-known

• Adding custom functionality: Mongo

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    C

I would like users to have different dashboards (content) depending on the "groups" the user has subscribed to. Also how would one go about storing additional user info in Mongo?

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    P

@countach that's nothing to be worried about for now. It's something that needs to be taken care of on the theme's end. Post an issue on the theme's repository.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    ToddT

@pitaj

Got it figured out. Basically, you have to form a "redirect chain" kinda. I think I was creating an infinite loop of redirection or excluding a specific case (www. for 443 and for 80 separately) in my above nginx config. I ended up having to redirect 80 http://www.domain.com, 80 http://domain.com AND 443 https://www.domain.com all to 443 https://domain.com and then that third block is where all the master logic for the activity goes, if that makes sense.

In my original post, I was combining too many of these cases into just 2 blocks. In addition, I also added location / {} and wrapped that around my return 301 statements.

This fixed the problem entirely with both the domain and the forum malfunctioning. Last but not least, I wanted to mention that I also added proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme; to the main logic block near the other proxy_set settings, which fixed a csrf error as well. So we're all good now!

Very exciting stuff. I appreciate the quick replies and help. Happy to use NodeBB for my new site!

• Multiple Digest Emails

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    neagleN

@baris Okay: I'll focus on the possibility of multiple nodebb processes.

@PitaJ: Gotcha. I'm glad I put exactly what I typed so that you could point out my error. I revisited the documentation and it looks like I'm not starting the app the way it's currently recommended (via nodebb start), so, without having insight into why running node app.js might be a problem, I'm giving that a shot.

With that, the nodebb related output seems to be the same when grepping either 'node' or 'nodebb'... it shows processes for loader.js and app.js in the nodebb directory.

Anyway--I'll see what happens with today's digest. Regardless, I appreciate everyone's help very much.

• Upgrading from an old version (v1.0)

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

@Eric-Ladner No, it doesn't upgrade the plugins... or I should say, it didn't used to.

More recent versions of NodeBB call ./nodebb upgradePlugins as part of the upgrade process, and that will upgrade plugins (to whatever version nbbpm says they should be upgraded to)...

However, those plugins that aren't registered with nbbpm won't be touched by ./nodebb upgradePlugins.

• notifications showing underscore

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    B

It is a custom install, we are trying to get it updated to the latest in steps to ensure nothing is broken.
    ![0_1499234830912_screenshot.png](Uploading 100%)

• New Theme not Showing Up

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    barisB

nodebb mobules should either start with nodebb-plugin- or nodebb-theme- so in your case your theme name should be nodebb-theme-exo-theme

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    C

@pitaj Yes true, I tried installing mongo onto my 17.04. The installation was successful but some packages did not work (were not supported).

• Error After Install

Solved
    1 Votes
    15 Posts
    5k Views
    dmD

I had the same problem when I was playing with NodeBB on a $2.5 vps from Vultr (=512MB ram). htop shows me that build process uses all available ram and cpu. Deploying on a decent machine/vps would solve the problem, aternatively, I called build steps one at a time ( eg ./nodebb build languages , ./nodebb build 'client side styles' etc) . Hope this helps.