Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    597 Posts
    phenomlabP

@frontendjulien Always happy to help.

• 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

The common causes for a session mismatch error are usually one of the following:

1. Mis-configured URL parameter in your config.json file

If you have a misconfigured url value in your config.json file, the cookie may be saved incorrectly (or not at all), causing a session mismatch error. Please ensure that the link you are accessing your site with and the url defined match.

2. Improper/malformed cookieDomain set in ACP

Sometimes admins set this value without realising that they probably don't need to set it at all. The default is perfectly fine. This is what the config looks like:

Cookie Domain setting

If this is set, you'll want to revert the setting by editing your database directly:

Redis: hdel config cookieDomain
    MongoDB: db.objects.update({ _key: "config" }, { $set: "cookieDomain": "" });

3. Missing X-Forwarded-Proto header from nginx/apache

If you are using a reverse proxy, you will need to have nginx pass a header through to NodeBB so it correctly determines the correct cookie secure property.

In nginx, you will need to add the directive like so:

location / { ... proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme; ... }
  • 0 Votes
    14 Posts
    2k Views

@julian I've solved the problem. Thank you very much!

• Email settings not saving v 1.6.1

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    2k Views
    W

@julian alt text

I wasnt expecting Chrome to autofill in the settings page 😞

IL see my self out.

Thanks

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    N

@doekia How to see this?

• Make my forum accessible online

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

Locked as dupe found here: https://community.nodebb.org/topic/11477/what-should-i-do-to-make-my-forum-accessible-online/6

• ERROR invalid data after in-house conversion

Solved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    D

Thanks Julian.

I was not too complicated but not having any data model made the process longer.
    I still have faced an issue with my converted users not been able to view the categories. I have manually addressed the issue by creating a "legacy" group, add the necessary group/priv to my categories and manually adding my users to the legacy group (fortunatly was having no more than 150 legacy users).
    I presume it has something to do with group association but haven't been able to figure out what exactly

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    S

Solved. add-registration-field plugin was the culprit. An undefined field was added in the registration page causing the error in adding a user in the database.
    alt text

• Share users between nodeBB and KeystoneJS

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    L

@shery11 not yet 🙂 how about you ?

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    B

Excellent thanks!

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    barisB

You need to use something like https://github.com/julianlam/nodebb-plugin-support-forum

• 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    2k Views
    P

@verso Do you have the reputation system disabled? Check in ACP -> Settings -> Reputation.

• Profile picture cropping modal issue

0 Votes
    26 Posts
    5k Views
    ReaderlyR

Hi @PitaJ,

I'm still having an issue with NodeBB not being about to find a profile picture I set up on my (admin) profile. It happens on Firefox or Chrome. It's hard to discern a pattern--why some actions cause the browser not to be able to load the image, while the other still can.

Any other suggestions?

Sean

• Problem whit nodebb on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Solved
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

0_1509540816675_6de78b57-97fb-47d2-9d4a-0979e32633fe-image.png

0_1509540832841_7c972fb0-be3d-461b-b9c7-12cc63770623-image.png

• Enable ONLY steam login

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    julianJ
    You can disable user registration in the ACP. If you also disable local login, then the login button will automatically redirect you to steam login. You can use the "custom html/js" tab to set some javascript to alter this picture 😃
  • Move from mybb to nodebb

Solved
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    MrKavatchM

@pitaj
    Could be possible. At least it works now ^^

• Error during WebSocket handshake, I use nginx

0 Votes
    15 Posts
    5k Views
    julianJ

... do you need to set cookieDomain? You're probably better off unsetting that config instead of commenting out code.

• why always mark my post as spam

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    2k Views
    lqzeroggL

@pitaj Yes, you are right. And I find that post will be marked as spam if there are too many codes.

• Use CosmoDB as Mongo replacement

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    D

@PitaJ

node = 6.11.2
    npm = 5.5.1

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    4 Posts
  • Custom Theme Development