Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Nodebb on OVH?

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    3k Views
    Marc Boisvert-DuprasM

I run the VPS SSD plan on OVH for my forum with Ubuntu 14.04 and everything is working very well 🙂

• How to remove query strings?

1 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    P

That means you're running on development mode, try running on production? That string doesn't change until you update NodeBB in prod

• jquery-timeago.nl.short.js missing (404 error)

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    ?

Thanks @baris , seems the same issue indeed. 🙂

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    lxgL

With 0.2.1 it works. Thank you very much!

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    A

@Gryphon00 said:

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
    Please fix it ASAP and keep me informed about the results. this forum is very important to me.

Demanding we fix it will get you nowhere. You can ask for help though. 502 Bad Gateway means it's not running. Try running ./nodebb dev in your NodeBB folder and seeing if it either crashes and supplies an error, or loads as it should.

Also Refer to the documentation, it'll likely be in there. Link to Documentation

• 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    truetunaT

pinging @pitaj & @julian

• Formatting Bug in User Login Screen

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    barisB

You can find it in the theme you are using. The file is called login.tpl. For example for persona its here. https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-theme-persona/blob/master/templates/login.tpl#L15

The server sends in the value depending on what the ACP setting is set to. If you only allow login by username that value changes to Username etc.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    A

Alternatively post it here in case others run into the same issue.

For anyone struggling with this...

Refer to the documentation, it'll likely be in there. Link to Documentation

• vanilla and lavender future

Moved
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    P

Its a pretty outdated comment, I should remove it. A lot of major stuff that I was planning in the first place for persona's account pages is already done, mostly by @baris actually 🙂

A most recent example is his password confirmation for editing important account fields.

• Desktop notifications popup problem

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    NivixN

I just switched to 0.8.2 today and was able to dismiss notifications on my Macbook.

• How to return a 404 page for a given route?

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    H

@pitaj I did some testing today with /categories 404'd. Seems as though things continued to work fine. I'm not disabling the functionality, just access to the page.

• Saving daily analytics data

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    Danny McWilliamsD

This would be useful. I used to take a daily & weekly screenshot and post them in a thread in a moderators forum.

• Extra space in the posts

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    JenklerJ

Thanks a lot people 😉

• Differences between HTTP and HTTPS versions

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    SejrS

@julian Redirecting to HTTPS, yes.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    KowlinK

@psychobunny just a surguestion. But would if be possible of having this(all the possible config stuff) all documented in the documentation?

• Group Labels not showing in thread.

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    KowlinK

Not that I'm aware of, but you can hide the groups button at the top of the forum.

• Issues Switching Themes

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    P

Interesting. I've had this issue a few weeks ago but I didn't have redactor installed either. I have no idea what I did to fix it, and the others couldn't reproduce. I'll have to wait until it crops up again, but the fact that a plugin might have interfered is a good hint, thanks!

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

@TiaZzz said:

net::ERR_BLOCKED:BY_CLIENT

Ah, I get those too, but that's a result of uBlock or such 😄

It only really breaks if you use libreJS, but that's a different problem altogether

• Odd Image Rotation

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    murphomaticM

Ahhhhhhhh VERY interesting. Thanks so much for the info there - thought i was losing my mind for a moment.

• Set language in admin

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    barisB

@agusputra That happens because of some language keys are used in the ACP, nothing to worry about, we can replace them with the hardcoded english ones until the ACP is fully translated.