Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    H

@julian

Hahaha, good question. I didn't even notice. I just googled for the documentation to get to it quickly. I didn't even pay attention to the URL.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    H

Sounds like it may be stuck in cache. I'd clear your cache and see if it goes away.

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    A

@julian said:

Once v0.9.0 is released, these emailer version mismatches will be dealt with... 😄

Thanks i too am having similar problems

• Menu route to external URL

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    2k Views
    PitaJP

@ThomLSA Are you reverse proxied through nginx? Do you have the capacity to add a DNS record?

If so, then adding it as a subdomain is pretty easy.

• Unread-count subcategory indications

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    lulzdevL

Hello all,

Simple question; did not see it posted yet.
    How can one incorporate an unread-count, indicating the count for a specific subcategory? For instance, the Announcements category, or a subcategory within.

I have created a new navigation option, directing to a subcategory, but I would like to have an unread count appear on that option, but I need it to only show how many are unread in the specific section. I played around in the admin panel, to no avail, and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• 0 Votes
    14 Posts
    7k Views
    Tanguy Bodin-HullinT

Thank you.
    I did disable the option in the API-write module, and now it's working in a shell terminal when I send the above CURL command.
    But when I try to use CURL in HTTPS within my PHP program,
    I get this message (401) : A valid login session was not found. Please log in and try again.
    I don't understand why I get this message, because :

I'm sending the Master token in the Header by calling the PHP function curl_setopt with the option CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER I try to send the credentials (login/password) by calling the PHP function curl_setopt with the option CURLOPT_USERPWD and login/password.
  • Notifications wrong URL "/forum/forum"

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    ?

@baris said:

This is fixed on latest master/persona/vanilla.

I fixed the issue by adjusting notifications_list.tpl:
    Line 17:
    <a href="{notifications.path}">

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    JenklerJ

@baris ,

Social sso plugin problem solved I can now select ssl option

Still get

[plugins/load] The following plugins may not be compatible with your version of NodeBB. This may cause unintended behaviour or crashing. In the event of an unresponsive NodeBB caused by this plugin, run ./nodebb reset -p PLUGINNAME to disable it.

nodebb-plugin-emailer-local

And Emailer not installed , any suggestions?

• 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

@ron_jeremy We do offer the non-profit plan (at the $20/mo price point), although support is not included with that plan, and is billed hourly.

We'd need any non-profit documentation you can obtain (either provincial or federal) in order to verify eligibility 🙂

• Nodebb not start

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

Seems like your Redis server is not running, did you install it onto your system?

• Got error while implementing facebook login

Solved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    Sameer YadavS

My bad, this error was caused by extra / in config.json

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    rydavimR

SOLVED

Just in case anyone else runs into a similar problem, I was looking at the wrong api urls to get what I needed.

I needed to be getting JSON from the topic data, rather than category or post. Most everything is working now.

😤

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    N

Thanks @pitaj . I am learning and it getting more interesting. I am able to do the menus also partially and with lil more time, I can i for the way i want i guess. Thanks you ur support.

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    James Edward Barlow IIIJ

If you want, feel free to share the config above - works with redis - not mongo - which is fine with me bc I prefer redis all day anyhow. it's 30 times quicker and smarter in my limited experience with mongo - you know it picked up the data i already had in mongo and I didn't even do anything :-). This could have been the forever logs - but I have no idea - node is new to me - but i'm starting to really like it.

Would you happen to have your upstart script that you use to keep your forums going on reboot? Or method that you use? Like specific - that will be the icing on the cake for me.

• Mo time mo problems

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    R

@BDHarrington7 No idea, and wouldn't know how to check it. Anyway, I already destroyed the Droplet so I can't answer that question. In a bit I will rebuild a new CentOS droplet and start from scratch.

I think my biggest issue is simply not understanding file and directory paths. I am likely in the wrong folder running commands that expect me to be in another folder, etc.

If I had hair on my head it would be gone by now.

• How to 'bulk delete' users?

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    W

I'm not looking for a fully automated process, but a process that generates a list of spam users, where the admin can ban or delete these users with just one click.

There are several ways to identify spam users.

What I see is, that users register and either place a spam post directly or wait several days and then post spam.
    So in our forum a user with one post and negative reputation is a spammer with a 99.5% hit rate.

I really would appreciate a plugin for that, or better a broader one, where based on user parameters different actions like 'ban' or 'delete' can be taken on admin' s decision. One admin could prefer 'ban' another one could prefer 'delete'.

Also there could be different triggers for actions like 1 post and negative reputation
    registered long (= month or years) ago, but no post,....

Unfortunately I'm pretty new to nodebb and not able to code a plugin myself.

• Help, Redis taking up all server memory

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    jareyJ

How much memory does the local installation running on redis consumes?

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    barisB

Link Preview Image show title in topic move notification · Issue #3764 · NodeBB/NodeBB

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

• Install error: "no such file or directory"

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    5k Views
    R

I am up and running! I am pretty sure I figured out what the issue was. Oh man, this is embarrassing...

So, I used the Terminal on my Mac to ssh into the server. However, what I didn't know is that I must have somehow lost the connection either from being away from the computer for too long and/or letting the computer go to sleep. So, when I would go back to continue with the tutorial I was no longer connected to the server, and thus when I was running the command I would see the error. I dunno, I think that's what happened. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

• Write API not working

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    4k Views
    Coman CosminC

@pitaj said:

npm install

It works now. Thanks a lot for your help. Would have never figured out by myself:)

Awesome idea with this API btw, i almost gave up because i'm not familiar with nodejs, but when i found this plugin i realised that this is no longer an issue:)

Great work guys