Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    Michael Joseph AubryM

I found the answer https://docs.nodebb.org/en/latest/themes/templates.html

<!-- BEGIN posts -->
    <!-- IF @first -->
    <h1>Main Author: {posts.username}</h1>
    <!-- ENDIF @first -->
    {posts.content}
    <!-- IF @last -->
    End of posts. Click here to scroll to the top.
    <!-- ENDIF @last -->
    <!-- END posts -->

• How to set image size using plugin-markdown?

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    PitaJP

@agusputra there is no way in markdown as far as I know to specifically size an image. You might be able to use HTML to do so within markdown, as a few tags are allowed, which o think includes img.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    Tanguy Bodin-HullinT

When I create a new subcategory via the admin panel, the parent category doesn't load well any more : the loading stops at about 2/3 of the loading bar.

When I use the API for creating a new subcategory, I get the same problem. The insertion with my PHP program works, and the sub-categories are visible in the admin panel, but the parent category doesn't load completely anymore.

Do you have any idea concerning this problem ?

Thank you.

• 1 Votes
    1 Posts
    mananM

I want to create page where I can get all pinned topics from all categories, I want to create something like "must read" page where all the topics which is marked must read by admin.

• Mandrill app Error

Solved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    KowlinK

This just means that the plugin had a posibility that it won't work. If everything is working well you can safely ignore it

• Facebook / Google SSO error

Solved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    frissdiegurkeF

It states warn, not error.
    Deprecated means its support will be dropped in future versions of NodeBB, but is working for now.
    So it's no error you need to fix right away.

And since both are @julian s plugins you can be pretty sure it'll get updated before support-drop 🙂

• Video embeds show raw html source in post

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

@codecowboy Redactor comes with it's own html sanitiser, so it is not as dangerous.

If you find any holes, let @drew know!

• Browser crash when opening a very long topic

Solved
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    S

@a_5mith said:

hljs

Im using the default nodebb composer.

I think I've fixed the problem, temporarily. I manage to remove those long text (http://pastebin.com/wQktbjtT) and it fixed the problem.

The long text string seems to break nodebb. I test posting the same string again, but nodebb wont allow as it is longer than 32767 character.

Thanks for your time @a_5mith

• Poster upload error

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    KowlinK

Does anything appear in your logs about the error? If so can you post it here?

• 1 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    Michael Joseph AubryM

Good answer!!!! I am doing that!

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • How to embed youtube video

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    6k Views
    agusputraA

It turns out clash with plugin-iframely.
    After I disabled plugin-iframely then the youtube preview show up.

• Admin Approval email

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    ferikF

Thank you

• Error deleting user picture

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    Marc Boisvert-DuprasM

@psychobunny Done! https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/3804

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    Danny McWilliamsD

You can integrate the forum as a comments engine for Ghost or WordPress using this plugin:

Link Preview Image [nodebb-plugin-blog-comments] Blog Commenting Engine (Ghost, Wordpress widget)

NodeBB Blog Comments Lets NodeBB act as a comments engine/widget for your blog. Currently supports both Ghost and WordPress. There is a separate repo for Pen...

favicon

NodeBB Community (community.nodebb.org)

• Broken profile edit page

Moved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    Asaduzzaman PavelA

Hello,

i am having some issue with the profile edit page in the persona theme (git)

here is some screenshot:

0_1446208361577_4e46d3b9115e6e7507749786f1f2cf2c.png
    0_1446208477361_58bcdbfafab03d3411d29e1019579b88.png

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    E

if you dont use plugins and you use persona is kinda safe

• No IP binding possible: glooming on 0.0.0.0

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

The two options are not mutually exclusive, Herr Direktor. 😄

Bind address should be your local ethernet interface. Set it to 127.0.0.1 if you only wish to have the machine itself access it (or reverse proxy via nginx).

url is just used by NodeBB when it needs to refer to itself as a URL.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    H

@julian

Hahaha, good question. I didn't even notice. I just googled for the documentation to get to it quickly. I didn't even pay attention to the URL.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    H

Sounds like it may be stuck in cache. I'd clear your cache and see if it goes away.