Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Custom api router?

Moved
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

Also, you'll want to add new routes to params.router, which is a special router just for plugins, and doesn't interfere with existing routes 😄

• NodeBB with NSSM on windows

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    W

Yeh it works fine starting it from the batch file.. I think il just create a startup script that checks that mongodb has started and if so then start nodebb with nodebb start command.

• Error upgrading master branch

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

Looks like a warning, but not a serious one. We don't use that package in NodeBB itself so it is likely one of its dependencies

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    Charly86C

@julian
    Sorry forgot this one, mail notification settings says
    "Send an email if a new chat message arrives and I am not online"
    And I receive one even if I'm connected (but not on same tab) which does not match option configuration 😉

• Email templates showing URL as local host.

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

Glad to hear it's working out now 🙂

• Purge topics without deleting category?

Solved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    W

😬 Woops.. Just noticed the purge topic button that appears after deleting.. Moving on..

• Toobusy. Excessive load

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    julianJ

Yeah, since the commit you made, it's disabled on dev mode, although I think he means his dev install of NodeBB.

• My nodeBB website is not working anymore

0 Votes
    37 Posts
    12k Views
    W

There is no CopyZip in logrotate, so you have to do it in two steps 😉

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    PilvinenP

Aaa, okay. I was wondering if it's a bug or just been placed elsewhere. Thanks.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    C

I am importing from a PunBB install which contains numerous spam users and posts. Is there a way to cleanse the NodeBB database of spam when it already exists? I realise there is the spam-be-gone plugin but presumably that is only effective for new content.

I guess I am looking for some kind of spam sweep or cleanup script?

• Is there anyway to reset just the navigation

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    산도

0_1448254372049_bbb.png

I installed nodebb-plugin-header-extend plugin and then wanted to go back to default navigation.
    After going back to default navigation, I was able to see some small blank icons in the navigation , so I activated the plugin again and deleted all the icons.
    Then all the icons were gone, and I was not able to put back any navigation icons into it. Is there anyway to make it default? like resetting just the navigation part?

• I have problem with adsense

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    산도

I tried using adsense to show my ads but it didn't work.
    So I am now trying to use widget to show up my ads but it's not loading either.
    How do I make it show my ads show up? PLEASE!!!
    Here's my code for the widget:
    <script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
    <!-- nodebb_top -->
    <ins class="adsbygoogle"
    style="display:block"
    data-ad-client="ca-pub-xxxxxxxxxxxx"
    data-ad-slot="xxxxxxxxxxxx"
    data-ad-format="auto"></ins>
    <script>
    (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
    </script>

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    P

Viewing my user page here in the nodeBB community, I encounter the following problem when clicking on the hamburger button.

0_1448238748846_bug.jpg

As one can see, the menu pops up perfectly fine, but is rendered left of the button, where the visible browser window ends (I moved the full size browser window a bit to the right so that the problem can be seen more clearly).

So far I have seen the problem on this nodeBB instance only, which is partly because my own instance does not show the hamburger button at all at the moment (see this related topic).

• SSL, nginx, location

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    S

config.json:

{ "url": "http://sub.domen.com/forum", "secret": "ecb356d8-120a-433c-866f-46589291e491", "database": "redis", "redis": { "host": "127.0.0.1", "port": "6379", "password": "goodpassword11233455677898", "database": "0" } }
  • 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    markkusM

Well... If you already have NodeBB running on port 80 without nginx/Apache proxy, then you can not assign another service on the port as well. I recommend you to set up an nginx/Apache proxy for NodeBB and create virutal hosts for each service you want to run on port 80 (this way you can run multiple services/sites on port 80).

• Something happened over night

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    markkusM

I suppose fresh Ubuntu 14.10 install will do the trick, if you don't mind losing data...

• Recent Topic or Recent Activity ?

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    agusputraA

@psychobunny just some question.

Is it intentional for
    /recent and /category -> sort by newest to oldest
    the result is sorted by recent activities (post created time) AND not by topic created time?

• I need Help for installing to C9!!

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    산도

@HolyPhoenix I followed that guide, but I couldnt install. Is it difficult to install to C9?

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    S

Try connecting manually. Use the mongo client and see what that does using the creds that you are attempting to use.

• 0 Votes
    14 Posts
    8k Views
    M

What I did was, I installed the lobby app. Some feature are working but most them are not. Like when I tried to change the app setting in admin configuration, I got this Error.

orbiddenError: invalid csrf token
    at verifytoken (/home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/node_modules/csurf/index.js:269:11)
    at Object.csrf [as handle] (/home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/node_modules/csurf/index.js:97:7)
    at next (/home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/proto.js:174:15)
    at methodOverride (/home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/node_modules/method-override/index.js:79:5)
    at /home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/middleware/methodOverride.js:41:7
    at methodOverride (/home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/node_modules/method-override/index.js:79:5)
    at Object.handle (/home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/middleware/methodOverride.js:39:5)
    at next (/home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/proto.js:174:15)
    at /home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/node_modules/express-session/index.js:433:7
    at /home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/sqlite-store.js:65:15

Please help me because I'm stuck.

Thank You!
    POST /docusign_test 403 19.811 ms - -