Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    597 Posts
    phenomlabP

@frontendjulien Always happy to help.

• 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Does Persona Theme have boxed display?

Moved Solved
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    agusputraA

@Mawi-Raura You can edit your own style from http://yourforum.com/admin/appearance/customise

Or you can create your own themes and override as needed. Look here : https://docs.nodebb.org/vi/latest/themes/create.html

• No data received

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    ZephlonZ

When I visit my forum, I get an error: "No data received". Restarting NodeBB fixes it, but the issue comes back the next day. Another post on this forum said to update redis, but I'm already running the latest version. I'm not sure if this is related, but I can see "PING ERROR: Error: connect EMFILE" in logs/output.log.

• nodebb on heroku

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    yariplusY

I've been trying to do this. I used git add config.json before pushing and that worked. Started the app from the console. It starts, connects to the db, says NodeBB is now listening on: 0.0.0.0:58466 Great.

But I'm stuck there, I do heroku open and no dice. Application Error. Logs say App crashed, code=H10

I don't understand this heroku thing. Maybe you'll have better luck after pushing that config.json.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    JenklerJ

Is there a workaround for this except text-class?

Correction, when selecting no icon I cant get it back ...

Solution: drag a menu with an icon and change it! Do not set "No icon"

• 0 Votes
    14 Posts
    5k Views
    W

Even running ./nodebb upgrade on a working 0.9.1 installation produces the problem

It happened on my sandbox as well as on the production system.

Well, the upgrade is done, and there is no reason for me to worry about it. I just wanted to mention it, in case it's others had the same problem and to enable the developers to investigate, if needed

• nodebb + heroku + mongolab

0 Votes
    49 Posts
    17k Views
    yariplusY

@ashmehro

You should create a new topic.

What local OS are you using?

• [meta/dependencies] Could not read: heapdump

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    yariplusY

Just ran into this issue with a fresh nodebb install. I didn't have python setup correctly.

Made sure python 2.7 (not 3.x) is setup and the python command works. Then npm install again. Fixed it for me.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    M

so in template.js templating engine i want to increment variables so i can have something like j++, where j is an integer variable beinging incremented by 1, is there any way i can have variables or simply have statements in the templating engine - so i can initiate variable and then increment it?

thanks 🙂

• 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    yariplusY

@Mawi-Raura You shouldn't if you want the exact theme exodo uses. The widget's are drag-n-drop. But you probably will if you want a different/custom theme.

• Lavender theme issue with Nodebb 0.9.1

Moved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    R

thanks, I went to git and was confused about the version so I just changed the file, it works but I will do this later thanks.

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    yariplusY

./nodebb reset just disables all plugins.

Use nodebb without a command to see all commands. ./nodebb

Welcome to NodeBB Usage: ./nodebb {start|stop|reload|restart|log|setup|reset|upgrade|dev} start Start the NodeBB server stop Stops the NodeBB server reload Restarts NodeBB restart Restarts NodeBB log Opens the logging interface (useful for debugging) setup Runs the NodeBB setup script reset Disables all plugins, restores the default theme. activate Activate a plugin on start up. plugins List all plugins that have been installed. upgrade Run NodeBB upgrade scripts, ensure packages are up-to-date dev Start NodeBB in interactive development mode watch Start NodeBB in development mode and watch for changes
  • 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    BriB

@BDHarrington7 said:

Did you try an npm rebuild first?

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    ?

Here check this topic:
    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/7142/latest-pull-breaks-nodebb-packages-are-out-of-date/

To fix the issues try to run the following commands:
    npm i [email protected]
    npm i install [email protected]

And then run ./nodebb setup and just press enter. It is indeed just a workaround, but better than nothing.

• 1 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    yariplusY

@xen Here's the change you can make, until the pr is added.

Link Preview Image Don't change url when homepage is set to a category. · yariplus/NodeBB@12fb512

Node.js based forum software built for the modern web - Don't change url when homepage is set to a category. · yariplus/NodeBB@12fb512

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

• Can no longer modify partial templates 0.9.1

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    W

Yup you are right.. I did a search for my changes prior to upgrading and my search brought me to \public\templates\partials\post.tpl file instead of the one in the persona theme..

I just made the changes in the theme folder and everything looks good again.

Thanks for your help

• Critique my forum, please!

1 Votes
    14 Posts
    5k Views
    H

@Arc Yeah, housing is cheaper, jobs are more plentiful and pay better for a software engineer, and overall the community has more going for it in Kansas City. 😛 In terms of my life, things are much better here. I do miss family, the mountains and skiing though. But I can vacation in Colorado to visit those things.

• Basics! Admin Access

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    3k Views
    ShardS

@julian

Dunno what was wrong that day. Did a pull to update, then did the same steps as I had before and it decided to work.

Go fig.

• 0 Votes
    17 Posts
    6k Views
    AtonB117A

Well, damn. Didnt know that.

Okay, Thanks for your phenomenal help, @pichalite.

Gonna mess around with this proxying and nginx a bit now that everything is moving forward again.

• NodeBB on Koding

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    2k Views
    ?

@Aureney be sure to add the port to the URL unless you use a proxy like NGINX or run NodeBB on port 80.

• installation of nodebb

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    ferikF

As an aside, I think that Docker will be the easiest way to install and update a nodebb installation soon.