Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Basic New Theme

Moved Unsolved
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    6k Views
    P

@charles well looks like bootstrap is required

• New users Google-sso dont work with v1.0.2

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    JenklerJ

crap, i forgot to activate the google+ api 😛

• display different things in theme

Moved Solved
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    4k Views
    C

@pichalite @yariplus thank you both!

• emoji-extended Inactive (smileys don't work)

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    JenklerJ

Yeah, that nice 😉

• blacklist returned: undefined

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    nhl.plN

Yes, it'll be okay in NodeBB 1.0.3.
    https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/commit/86106971c4dd41a53167be8bc12869c599835e80

• Fatal error: Unable to find local grunt

Solved
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    7k Views
    nhl.plN

You have to fork this repo to be able to edit its content.

Next you're going to browse to an interesting topic, i.e.
    https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-english/blob/master/installing/cloud/openshift.rst

Use Edit icon near to History label or edit it following any GitHub contributing guide.

• Windows install. I want to smash my PC!

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    P

I would suggest not to follow that tutorial. For some reason the tutorial clones NodeBB under /var/www which is not required.

Also you will end up using the master branch of NodeBB which is a development version and is likely to have bugs.

• Private Posts

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    G

@julian @psychobunny I really feel this plugin is important. It makes total sense for a community admin to support their users in a private place which can be tracked in a scalable way.

It has numerous applications from IT support portal, learning communities , healthcare communities, ombudsman group in enterprises. This can bring you lot of customers who looks for 1 stop shop for all community managment. You can highlight this feature in your site as well.

I follow Discourse and have seen them implementing it very recently among lot of requests (In fact they have done it in a complex way within groups functionality). Nodebb plugin approach of using categories IMHO is the right way.

I understand that you would love to do it as a custom service. I feel you would get more visibility if you do it as a community plugin. Since you have already have it for older versions, I feel it is wise to do it for the new versions as well. I would urge you to reconsider the upgrade path for the support plugin.

• 0 Votes
    13 Posts
    4k Views
    yariplusY

@PJH Not that I know of. The only way it wouldn't fire is if ajaxify is turned off, and in that situation the classes would get reset anyway.

• Stupid MongoDB Question

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    P

@Dielan

add the password with in "mongo": { }

so your config.json would look like this

{ "url": "http://xxx:4567", "secret": xxx, "database": "mongo", "port": 4567, "mongo": { "host": "127.0.0.1", "port": "27017", "username": "mongodb", "password": "mymongopwd", "database": "0" } }
  • Login Page (Almost ) Blank - Can't Login

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    danielflippanceD

My login page is (almost) entirely blank on my production server but works ok on dev and staging (heroku). I can see the home page and I can create an account and see the profile page, but I cannot login to an existing account:

0_1458589372352_Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 12.41.34 PM.png

There are no javascript errors in the browser and no errors in the server side log:

21/3 14:33 [24540] - info: NodeBB v0.9.2 Copyright (C) 2013-2014 NodeBB Inc.
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - info: This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - info: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - info:
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - info: Time: Mon Mar 21 2016 14:33:07 GMT-0500 (PET)
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - info: Initializing NodeBB v0.9.2
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - info: Environment: production
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - verbose: * using mongo store at xx.xx.xx.xx:xxxx
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - verbose: * using themes stored in: /var/www/blahblahblah/live/node_modules
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - info: [database] Checking database indices.
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - verbose: Checking dependencies for outdated modules
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - verbose: [notifications.init] Registering jobs.
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - verbose: [meta/css] Minifying LESS/CSS
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - verbose: [sounds] Sounds OK
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - verbose: [meta/templates] Compiling templates
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - verbose: [meta/templates] Successfully compiled templates.
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - verbose: [meta/css] admin.css committed to disk.
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - verbose: [meta/css] stylesheet.css committed to disk.
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - verbose: [meta/js] Minification complete
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - verbose: [hotswap] Router with id plugins replaced successfully
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - verbose: [plugins] All plugins reloaded and rerouted
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - verbose: [hotswap] Router with id auth replaced successfully
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - verbose: [meta/js] Client-side minfile committed to disk.
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - info: NodeBB Ready
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - info: Enabling 'trust proxy'
    21/3 14:33 [24540] - info: NodeBB is now listening on: 0.0.0.0:4567

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    danielflippanceD

Found the answer - The script starting NodeBB must be in the nodebb directory otherwise the minifier will fail as above. Changed my Upstart script as follows:

cd $LIVE_DIR exec node app.js >> /var/log/blahblahblah/nodebb.log
  • docs.nodebb.org where is the link?

1 Votes
    3 Posts
    frissdiegurkeF

+1 for a direct link.

I guess the most direct at the moment is via github (pricing -> github -> Documentation & Installation Instructions) o_O .

docs.nodebb.org <-- now it's in mine too 😛

• Authentication, Mongo and Upstart

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    6k Views
    tqwhiteT

@qgp9 I can't say exactly how I installed Mongo. When I google, "ubuntu install mongo", my web browser tells me that this page

https://docs.mongodb.org/v3.0/tutorial/install-mongodb-on-ubuntu/

has been visited and it looks familiar. I think it's what I used to guide me.

And, no, I did not compile. And no, I am not using docker.

A detail, since you seem to be interested, is that the install does not leave my system with a functioning "service mongod restart" command. At present, Upstart runs Mongo. "stop mongod" does not work.

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    V

managed to fix it by putting the ip address in the facebook url.. not the same one that is in config.json

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • Browser Console Always Empty

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    Jason NealJ

I first noticed this when I ran into issues with jquery not executing on the ACP, but now with a separate installation, on a totally different server, I'm seeing it again.

I can see clearly that jQuery or javascript isn't executing, but the browser console remains totally blank.

In the previous case, another user here was able to display the contents from his browser console, but mine stayed blank.

This time around, the lavender theme's masonry script isn't executing, but there's no output from my browser console. Thoughts?

NOTE

I am running this directly from an IP address without a FQDN. Could this be part of the issue?

UPDATE

I started up nodebb in dev mode and watched the terminal, but I'm not getting any errors or warning after the site loads. I'm totally stumped why masonry.js isn't loading. It's not even showing up in the console's resources, but there was no error thrown either in the client or the terminal.

• Clean install cannot GET /

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    ?

@zero how about your webserver config or are you running NodeBB on Port 80?

• Offline Installation

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    ?

@charles no. Unless you try this:
    https://addyosmani.com/blog/using-npm-offline/

• Upgrading from v0.9.x to v1.x.x

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    C

@SimonQ

try the commands here https://community.nodebb.org/topic/8285/easy-nodebb-upgrade-process