Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    597 Posts
    phenomlabP

@frontendjulien Always happy to help.

• 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Add icon to Font Awesome?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    Danny McWilliamsD

@ThingBreaker said:

Here are steps on customizing Font Awesome. Mayhaps these will help.
    https://github.com/FortAwesome/Font-Awesome/wiki/Customize-Font-Awesome

Thank you, I'll have a look. Would any updates of the forum affect Font-Awesome in future? Ideally, adding the icon in a way which wouldn't require updating the icons each time would be the best way forward.

• Issues with post displaying html sometimes.

0 Votes
    16 Posts
    4k Views
    JenklerJ

Yes, it works fine in v1.0.2 🙂

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    B

However, this is NO longer an issue with NodeBB 1.x since it's not using connect-mongo 1.x
    https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/blob/0823cd94331a99b5c6ae5c696cd30215295f3a4c/package.json#L25

it was an issue with 0.9.2.
    https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/blob/v0.9.2/src/install.js#L16

• Installing NodeBB on Ubuntu

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    6k Views
    Y

Hi,

As much as I'd like to say this was helpful, it wasn't. The most help I got was from the guy who told me how to open the folder.

With that being said, I am nowhere near. The main cause of this is probably me and I blame myself for that. I will be now hoping to get an Ubuntu Server from HostingItAll, and they will be helping me set up NodeBB!

Thanks for all that you guys could do.

Lewis

• Pushbullet

1 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    ?

@MagicVish just run the command he wrote, while you are in your NodeBB directory in SSH.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    SamuraisS

hi, Folks

Could anyone take a look at my problem ?

Link Preview Image Can not login with login form and response as "Forbidden" · Issue #4461 · NodeBB/NodeBB

Description setup NodeBB v1.0.0, commit id a402e29 nodebb/config.json { "url": "http://rockq.austack.com", "bind_address": "115.28.145.154", "port": 4567, "secret": "3c8c4c84-600f-48xxxx", "database": "mongo", "mongo": { "host": "115.28....

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

I get stuck with the login and I want to use nodebb as a community BBS.

I am appreciated if someone can help.

Cheers.
    Hain

• Schema changes 0.9.2 to 0.9.3 ?

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    C

I have a local dev environment running 0.9.2 and another install running 0.9.3. Is it possible to just overwrite the DB on the 0.9.3 install or were there schema changes between these versions?

• error: appears to be a git repo or submodule

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    7k Views
    frissdiegurkeF

I don't see any problems there thought. Except for the bad value for main, it is supposed to be a javascript file; But since other NodeBB themes share this bad value it should not break anything. o_O

After a quick search with the search engine of my choice I've found this stackoverflow question with a similar issue. There doesn't seem to be a solution but moving your repo out of node_modules and either symlink (by hand; as the answer describes) or npm link it.

• submit button missing

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    barisB

I wonder why that is not a check mark 😆

• v1.0.2: Lavender Theme: ACP says it is 3.0.9 but it is not

Solved
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    2k Views
    R

@pichalite This is very odd.

When I visit my dev forum from my iPhone (Safari) I see the correct fade out on long posts. When I visit my dev forum from my home Mac (using Safari) I also see the correct fade out. When I visit my dev forum from my office Windows PC (using Firefox) I do not see the correct fade out. Now for the odditity. If I visit my production forum from my same office Windows PC (using Firefox) I do see the correct fade out.

Huh?

Tips or clues on what to look at or caches to clear, etc?

Thank you.

• live view for file edit

Solved
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    frissdiegurkeF

$ npm i grunt grunt-contrib-watch

I recommend using npm install (no further parameters) instead. Since those packages are listed within devDependencies they will be installed as long you don't add --production.

• Basic New Theme

Moved Unsolved
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    6k Views
    P

@charles well looks like bootstrap is required

• New users Google-sso dont work with v1.0.2

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    JenklerJ

crap, i forgot to activate the google+ api 😛

• display different things in theme

Moved Solved
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    4k Views
    C

@pichalite @yariplus thank you both!

• emoji-extended Inactive (smileys don't work)

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    JenklerJ

Yeah, that nice 😉

• blacklist returned: undefined

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    nhl.plN

Yes, it'll be okay in NodeBB 1.0.3.
    https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/commit/86106971c4dd41a53167be8bc12869c599835e80

• Fatal error: Unable to find local grunt

Solved
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    7k Views
    nhl.plN

You have to fork this repo to be able to edit its content.

Next you're going to browse to an interesting topic, i.e.
    https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-english/blob/master/installing/cloud/openshift.rst

Use Edit icon near to History label or edit it following any GitHub contributing guide.

• Windows install. I want to smash my PC!

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    P

I would suggest not to follow that tutorial. For some reason the tutorial clones NodeBB under /var/www which is not required.

Also you will end up using the master branch of NodeBB which is a development version and is likely to have bugs.

• Private Posts

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    G

@julian @psychobunny I really feel this plugin is important. It makes total sense for a community admin to support their users in a private place which can be tracked in a scalable way.

It has numerous applications from IT support portal, learning communities , healthcare communities, ombudsman group in enterprises. This can bring you lot of customers who looks for 1 stop shop for all community managment. You can highlight this feature in your site as well.

I follow Discourse and have seen them implementing it very recently among lot of requests (In fact they have done it in a complex way within groups functionality). Nodebb plugin approach of using categories IMHO is the right way.

I understand that you would love to do it as a custom service. I feel you would get more visibility if you do it as a community plugin. Since you have already have it for older versions, I feel it is wise to do it for the new versions as well. I would urge you to reconsider the upgrade path for the support plugin.

• 0 Votes
    13 Posts
    4k Views
    yariplusY

@PJH Not that I know of. The only way it wouldn't fire is if ajaxify is turned off, and in that situation the classes would get reset anyway.