Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    D

Well, after that post I went digging in the code. And look what I found:
    https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-composer-default/issues/37
    https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/pull/4621

That actually fixes my issues. I updated to weekly and everything seems to work nicely. Seems to have also fixed the problem with the websockets. I see no more errors. When can we expect the v1.0.4? 🙂

• phantom notification count

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    julianJ

Hm, that's quite weird... I know there's some logic in NodeBB that will hide notifications if they do not have a path, though I can't fathom why the notification would re-appear!

Can you let me know the output of: db.objects.find({ _key: "uid:1:notifications:unread" }); (assuming you're using MongoDB)?

• Need Help

Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    C

@KyleB Not many recent videos out there. Maybe this will help you?

Make sure to set video quality higher than 480 for clearer output

• Getting a 502 error on upload of group cover image

Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    V

Thanks! I updated my site from the master and it now works.

• Disable/Remove "There are no topics in this category."

Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

Thanks @yariplus 😄 will take it under advisement.

• Search Feature doesnt work

1 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

Are you saying the search only works in English?

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    P

@scen you can ignore that if you want... not an issue or error.

if you want the warning to go away then, add this to the package.json file in your theme (assuming you are using NodeBB 1.x.x)

"nbbpm": { "compatibility": "^1.0.0" }
  • All users emails are showing in the view source code mode

Solved
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    PilvinenP

Thank you! That was it. Issue resolved.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    yariplusY

@g0st Pushed an update so that the topic cards use the topic thumbnail if available, and added a few extra options in the widget config.

Feel free to open any other feature requests in the github issues.

• Question regarding user notification

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    mechanixM

Hi,

just a quick question: does a user gets notified by default via mail if I mention him with @username in a post?

Thank you

• Setup failed while upgrading

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    C

@Aureney Not sure if it's still the case but according to this it's not compatible with nodebb 1.x.x

https://github.com/ahwayakchih/openshift-nodebb/issues/17

• wrench deprecated

Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    C

@pichalite good to know, thanks!

• [edit] No config.json file

0 Votes
    15 Posts
    4k Views
    A

@frissdiegurke I know. That's why I started it.

• 1 Votes
    1 Posts
    S

I am looking at the Hooks wiki page here. When I click on each hook, it only takes me to the source code. I am hoping to get some proper documentation where I can look at each hook and read the description. Right now it is very inconvenience that for every hook I need to read the source code to understand what is dose.

Please help and thanks!

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    yariplusY

That's just the Background Color from the category's edit page in the admin panel.

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • In topic search

1 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    P

sent PR to hide setting if in-topic search is not available

• Running NodeBB on IIS

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    C

Hi all,

I realize this is an old topic, but given that I'm dealing with exactly the same problem, I figured it would be sensible to reply here. Essentially, I've followed the advice of @pichalite and created a simple IIS forward proxy for my NodeBB server. Unfortunately this solution does not yield the desired result, as many requests for resources are not being made to the correct directory - instead, requests are being made to the root level of the IIS Web server (e.g., GET http//website.ca/stylesheet.css?4210ebb0-9225-4237-b2ad-87d88b61756b), and not to the specified port where NodeBB is being hosted (e.g., http://website.ca:4567 or http://localhost:4567).

Any ideas? I've played around with reverse proxies and outbound rules to route all outgoing traffic from http://localhost:4567 to the same URL I've specified for the proxy rule (e.g., http//website.ca/associates-hub) to no avail... If more info or screenshots are needed, they can be provided. I've been banging my head against the wall trying to cycle through all possible solutions to this problem. Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Cam

• Error logs

Solved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    Dawid GlombaD
    11/5 22:06 [2132] - error: /category/95.rss Error: Błędne ID Kategorii at async.waterfall.category.topics (/root/nodebb/src/categories.js:35:18) at fn (/root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:746:34) at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:1213:16 at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:166:37 at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:706:43 at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:167:37 at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:1209:30 at /root/nodebb/src/categories.js:168:4 at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:726:13 at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:52:16 at done (/root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:246:17) at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:44:16 at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:723:17 at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:167:37 at /root/nodebb/src/categories.js:234:4 at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:52:16
  • Maintenance Mode

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    P

@rod the file directly under public is a html file not a tpl file public/503.html. this is displayed when the server returns a 503 error.

The page displayed when the forum is set in maintenance mode is under public/templates. this is generated from src/views/503.tpl and is not an error... just a message saying that the admin has disabled access to the forum.